Close

Student

Buying my first printer

I hate walking into a forum and starting off with a question or a need... I would prefer to be able to give first, but as things would have it, I have nothing to give at this stage. I am brand new to 3d printing. I have been cramming as much info as I can about a pretty much brand new industry in my country, so all info I get is from what I can find online.

My intention is to create items for the decor industry. This would include lamps, shades, vases, etc. Would print, sand and spray.

I have set up a meeting with the one local manufacturer, Morgan, to view the machine and probably end up buying one if it works well. I like that its a SA based company which would make it easier if anything goes wrong. Seeing that I know very little still on the field, I wanted to ask if someone would look at this machine for me and give me their opinion.

Company: http://www.morgan3dp.com/

Actual Product: http://www.morgan3dp.com/support/tec...n-morgan-mega/

Price converted to USD is probably around 2.5k with addons maybe 3k.

Is anyone else here in the decor field? Care to give me some pointers, advice?

Thanks for reading

It seems like a good printer but why do you need one with such a large build volume? Especially since you are a beginner. I would recommend a printer that is more well known so if you run into problems there will be a lot more documentation. You may want to look into printrbot or flashforge. But, if you want the morgan mega go with it!

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlyAdaptive View Post
    It seems like a good printer but why do you need one with such a large build volume? Especially since you are a beginner. I would recommend a printer that is more well known so if you run into problems there will be a lot more documentation. You may want to look into printrbot or flashforge. But, if you want the morgan mega go with it!
    Thanks for replying! Im looking at a large build volume, as some items like a lamp shade/chandelier which would be the main lightsource for a room, could often be around 40cm x 40cm x 40cm. If I were to do custom table lamps, I could easily fit two or three of them on the same bed as well.

I understand what you say as well about the more well known companies/printers. It would make it easier probably if there was a lot more documentation on this printer... food for thought!

That's great! If you think your up for the printer than I say go for it! Especially if they are local!