Close

help, Y axis is slipping? video inside.

When i make a square it seems to overlap and will continually do this throughout the entire print. what could be wrong?

first video is the quick 20 second video

this is the beginning of the print. pretty much me asking for help in this video.

Technician
    It is possible that the Y axis could be losing steps somehow?

1. What speed are you printing at? Is it too fast? Try dialing your speed back to something like 30mm/s.
    2. Are the steppers getting enough power? This machine looks like a Robo3d R1 plus. Is this built or bought pre-assembled? In any case, can you adjust the current to your stepper drivers somehow?
    3. Do you ever hear/see any belts skipping? They would likely make some fair noticable noises if they were slipping/skipping.
    4. Does your bed move freely when the machine is powered off and you move it by hand? Are there any areas along the bed axis where it feels tighter (takes more force) to move the bed?

For more in-depth info Take a look here:
    https://www.simplify3d.com/support/p...r-misalignment

Technician
    While watching your video again I do notice your travel speed seems insanely high. This could be an artifact of seeing it at 30fps instead of in real life. What slicer are you using? What firmware does the printer run (Marlin?) and what are you using as a travel speed? I bet if you lower your travel speed to 30 mm/s this problem will go away. Yes 30 is quite slow, but it will at least help us diagnose the issue. If it fixes the problem you can slowly work it up until you hit the problem again.

Engineer-in-Training iDig3Dprinting's Avatar
    Follow iDig3Dprinting On Twitter Add iDig3Dprinting on Facebook Add iDig3Dprinting on Google+ Add iDig3Dprinting on Thingiverse
    Answering the above questions should help you resolve your issue. Often the belts can become loose/stretched so that with the lack of tension on the teeth in the pulley the stage will slip. If there is a obstruction to the movement of the stage along the y axis smooth rod this could build up enough tension that once released the y stage overshoots.

Definitely check your belt tension.

So far my speed is at 20mm/s, so I do not think it is it. I'm thinking it is more mechanical error like a barring or the stepper motor itself. As writing this I took the bed off, and tightened a set screw on the y axis gear head, and POOF fixed. my prints are coming out better then ever now!