Close

Heated Bed Change, what do you think?

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and I'm looking to prepare the update of my printer's heat bed, The only thing that I still need to decide is the Thernal insulation and I need your help to choose the best one.

Here is my idea:
    Insulation.jpg

Question
    What Kind of Insulation do you recommend?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    why are you changing it ?

does it not work ?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    why are you changing it ?

does it not work ?

Yes and No and I don't know

Aardvark, Following some advices from the forum and from almost everybody I bought a DIY printer from China (very Cheap) because according to everybody " you will need to learn how to fix, upgrade or the printer won't work" based on this and many other arguments I browsed the internet and found the CL260 model and the reviews (most of them in German) were great for a DIY, even timelapses from really beginners guys was apparently easy, so I bought it.

Why I want to Upgrade without even have the printer?
    As mentioned above I already searched the and found that a few parts can be reprinted and others needs to be upgraded, for example the bed. Like 99% of the people that bought it couldn't print very well ABS on it because even using a borosilicate glass (3mm thick) they couldn't have the plate with the right temperature, so based on that and also based TOMs review about silicone heat Mat I decide to be prepared to apply this update to the printer.

Now, It doesn't mean that I know how to do it
    That's why I asked how should I insulated a silicone if any different than a regular MK2 aluminum heat bed?

By the way, I love the idea of the Geckotek and after testing it I will make a review from a newbie point of view!

Engineer-in-Training
    For insulation you could use cork, I got mine at Ikea... look for the ABSKILD Place Mat. It's got good insulation properties, it's fire retardant (better safe than sorry) and looks classy

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    lmao, given that most of us categorically said do not buy one from china.
    Don't blame us :-)

And wait till you've got it before deciding what to change.
    I've currently got 7mm on top of my heat pad (6mm of aluminium and 1mm of printbite), and it's about 8c off what i set it for.
    A 3mm glass sheet will make almost no difference at all.

Plus that's the ultimaker clone. If they've cloned it well it should be extremely good as it comes.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    lmao, given that most of us categorically said do not buy one from china.
    Don't blame us :-)
    hahaha.

Don't worry I won't blame you guys!But will probably ask for help!

It is difficult to stay away from China when price is important, also this is a starting point for me I believe I will love it to work with it and make it work

Do you used only the Cork and no more insulation? You are not the first one that recommends me.
    By the way I saw that it is very thin should I use two?