Close

Printer for cosplay

Hey everyone, I've been doing some reading and would greatly appreciate your input into my search.

- I'm looking for a printer to use for printing out cosplay armour (think iron man), and 1/10th scale figurines
    - budget is =<$3,000
    - due to the large size of the items I'm making, cheap filament refills would be preferable and the larger the print size, the better
    - good print detail is preferred

thank you for your assistance, if there is anymore information I can provide, please let me know.

Technologist
    Hi Luke:

Awhile ago, this caught my eye:

https://3dprint.com/72234/aztec-scen...gn-techniques/

It was mentioned somewhere in the forums.

It seems to me that enough of what Aztec is about relates to what you might be interested in. In particular, as I recall, they use(d) relatively cheap printers, and focused a lot on the post-print finishing of items to a high degree of quality, perhaps somewhat akin to cosplay requirements. So..., perhaps it might be worth contacting them somehow to see if they will share any useful info w/ ya.

Your budget gives you a lot of wiggle room..., so the thought occurs to me, depending on the volume of pieces you plan to be making, that actually..., multiple less expensive printers might be more relevant than a single, higher quality printer. While I'm only really familiar w/ the Makerfarm line, I think there are several 12" printers out there that might be within your budget, and 10" might suffice for much of what you want to do. Of course, there are the SLA/resin based printers..., but they can get spendy real quick,

Good luck!

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Luke,

Hyrel printers do not require proprietary filaments, and can print with every filament we've tried, from PLA to Ninjaflex to PEEK. We also print in clays and pastes like Fimo, Sculpey, porcelain and even Sugru.

Please PM me if you'd like a skype/teamviewer session with no obligation. Our unenclosed Engine is available for $2000 with one basic head right now ($2500 list), plus shipping.

Davo

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Also with the hyrel it's almost infinitely upgradeable.

Might be worth looking at the newer ultimakers as well. There is a rail system you can a buy that pretty much lets you print any length you care for.
    http://3dprinting.com/news/z-unlimit...-tall-objects/

Would be useful for leg and arms pieces that you could print in a lot fewer bits.

Not sure you could do a single arm or leg in one go as the articulation of the knee/elbow joint could be trickey. But you could easily do it in 3 parts.

I have personally owned 9 printers, including 2 resin based printers and I would highly recommend the Gcreate gmax 1.5xt+.
    16x16x21 inch build area which should be certainly large enough for even the largest cosplay helmets.
    Ive owned other large printers like the makerfarm 12" and the taz 5, and not only is the gmax bigger, its quality of prints is much better as well.
    I love every thing about it. And no, i dont work for gcreate haha, just love the printer.
    here is an unboxing I did so you could at least take a look
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAwgpN7lAoA