Close

Possible new thermal isolation material for printer base

Hi,

I have been working with this, what I would say “revolutionary” (just my humble biased opinion), thermal isolation coating which I thought may be great for 3D printer base to prevent heath transfer (that is heath loss) to the base. Is that important I do not know, so I apologize if that is not important. However here is the spec on the material

At a coating thickness of 10 mils (0.01‐inches or 0.25‐mm) the thermal conductivity k‐value (λ) is 0.002 W/mK. Compare that to conductivity of glass of 0.8 W/mK, or air 0.024 W/mK.

It bonds to almost any substrate like wood, concrete, brick, PVC, Stucco, Metal with 4000 psi force. In other words once you put it on it will not come off. It has a white semi gloss finish once it dries. Operating temperature from -95F to 350F and hardness on Shore D scale of 85 (hard hat has 75).

If anybody thinks that would be useful material please let me know?

Regards,
    Shakti

Engineer-in-Training
    That's all well and good, but what needs to be seen is how well molten plastic adheres to it, how well it peels off, and how well it stands up to parts being scraped off it.

Yes that would be very interesting test. But, I can only speculate, that ABS would stick, but not adhere so it would be easy to break off and no need for scrapping. In general I tried scratching it with screw driver and it would not scratch.

I wish I can try it, but minimum order from the factory is 25 gallons??????

Engineer-in-Training
    What exactly is the benefit? saving energy on something that is already costing only pennies to run?