Close

Engineer-in-Training

remote monitoring and shutdown of printer, the $60 solution

I know it's ill-advised to leave your printer unattended, but with 20+ hour print times, how realistic is that really?

Here's the compromise that's worked really well for me:

A $30 wifi camera for monitoring and a $30 wifi outlet for turning your printer off if needed:

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Amazon-Electronics-Anywhere-HS100/dp/B0178IC734

41yh0p1tKyL._SL1000_.jpg
    http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-NC2...nk+wifi+camera
    313EQ55wW3L.jpg

Technician
    Cool idea. I use Octoprint connected to a webcam to monitor my prints from around the house. But I don't yet have a way to remote power on/off. I may just pick one of those outlets up Thanks for the idea!

I also use octoprint to monitor my prints ... My controller board is a Smothieboard there are plenty of spare output ports on them and its as simple as adding in a new gcode command in the config to activate them .. also my PSU is a industrial 12v 33.5A PSU which has a 5v output as well as a on off control line (just pull the line down) it would be a fairly trivial task to add a relay to deactivate the PSU thus turning everything off .. could be done remotely or by adding in a Gcode command in the completed print job scripts.

the remote plug looks like a decent solution though as long as its reliable.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well I work on the geenral principle that as long as I'm there for the first layer, and it goes down without any issue. The rest pretty much takes care of itself.

Once in a blue moon these days, I might get a failure. But it's so rare it's not worth worrying about.

And I'm certainly not staying in my workshop to watch a long slow print.

I do like the idea of a remotely controlled power socket though - very clever.