Close

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Student
    Ok, here is the main picture again of what I need two gears for.

mm1.jpg

Now here is a picture of just the tire. I need a gear that will just fit in this tire. curious aardvark already nailed it for a gear to just fit in this tire. After looking at the shaft for this tire in this picture above, I think curious aardvark middle hole might work the way that it is. The smaller hole in the middle would be for the motor shaft.

tiregear.jpg

Now here is a picture of a gear that is the the perfect diameter size for the motor gear. Note the teeth are way to short! That is why it will not work. This one would need a needle size hole in the middle.

motorgear.jpg

curious aardvark, i think you got the tire gear done. Do you plain to work on the next gear for the motor to go with your gear you just made for the tire?

Thanks,
    Tony

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    bear in mind you can always stick a little glue on the shaft and let it dry to give a tighter fit.

the larger gear - a whole 10mm !
    That's huge :-)

I can try for a 0.5mm hole - I suspect it'll just make it easier to see where to drill.

how about this:

Dunno if the gaps between teeth would be wide enough, could always drop it down to 9 teeth.
    These are all made with the gear script I posted - so you could always mess about with it yourself :-)

The two mesh quite well.

The little one might need a wee tweak to give it longer teeth/arms.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 05-07-2016 at 08:05 AM.

Student
    Very nice work! How thick are the gears? Here is a overhead picture of what I want done that kind of shows you how thin I need the gears. Do you think your gears are thin enough to fit on the shafts? Mainly the tire shaft. That is the thinner one. It is a little fuzzy to see.

mm2.jpg

If you can, could you measure the distance from each hole of the gears when they are mesh together to see if it is close to the same distance of my shafts? The picture above also shows the distance between each shaft.

Now I am starting to wounder how much this is going to cost to get these gears ship to me over seas or are you just going to have me pay you for the design work to have some one here in the usa print them out?

Thanks,
    Tony

current distance between centres is 6.2 mm - your's is about 8. so we can make the smaller gear teeth a little longer.

The gears are 2mm thick.
    The picture is so blurred I have no clue how thick your gears are :-)

If your camera does not have macro - which it doesn't appear to. then take the picture from further away so it is actually in focus and crop to the part of the image you want. that will always give you a clearer image.

Buy a set of these : http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Elec...gital+calipers

It'll make life much easier :-)

Postage wise - these things weigh almost nothing. 4 of the larger ones weigh 0.36 grams.
    So throw a padded envelope in and p&p should only be few dollars.

I've just been doing the design for fun - but I keep being told I need to charge people for stuff.
    We can sort something out I'm sure :-)

Student
    When you say make the small gear teeth longer, do you mean make it deeper to keep the diameter of the gear the same that will make the teeth look longer? If so, that will work. I am sure that is what you mean, because if you just make the teeth longer, then the diameter of the gear will be bigger than the tire diameter.

Is your motor gear (bigger gear) the same diameter as my white gear seen in the picture in my other reply? If so, then yes we will have to fix the small gear.

As for the thickness, here is a picture of my white gear that is perfect in thickness. Would that white gear be 1mm thick? If so, go with that.

thickness.jpg

As for the money, we can talk about that in PM. I am good for paying you something for your time/work you put in this and for the amount of gears I want printed out along with the shipping cost. Yeah, these are very light in weight. So like you said, shipping will not cost much.

Thanks,
    Tony
    Last edited by Tonyj; 05-08-2016 at 07:54 AM.

follow my photo taking instructions - that picture shows a white bear in a snowstorm with his eyes closed.

There is nothing indentifiable in it.

Student
    The white gear is 1mm thick because the gear thickness fits between two lines on the mm side ruler. If you like, I can double check this with the 3D printer guy that printed it.

Thanks,
    Tony

what machine did he print it on ?

But yeah now i know what I'm looking at I'd say 1mm.

Would it matter if they were a little thicker - say 1.2 or 1.4 mm. They would be a lot stronger.

So what I'm going to try this afternoon is to make some out of mymat nylon.
    Nylon isn't usually much good for precision and small parts. But this mymat stuff is not your normal nylon, if I can make a useable gear out of carbon fibre reinforced nylon - it might not be stiff enough - but if it is, it'll be damn near industructable :-)

Well I have discovered something about printbite and mymat nylon.
    The one sticks to the other like a limpit on steroids in training for the annual 'who's the world's strongest limpet' competition.

And given that it's currently 27c in my workshop (yeah the sun came out in england) could take a while to cool down to the point where I might b able to get the bloody things off the plate.
    Hmm, wonder of one of them there freezing sprays might work for situations like this.
    Used to have one in the bottom of my tool box - now I think about it, wonder if it's still there....

nope - Now I think about it, I do vaguely remember playing with it till it was empty.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 05-09-2016 at 11:22 AM.

well printbite is down to 29c and the bloody things are still stuck in what looks like a permament basis.
    Bugger lol

Must add this to the printbite thread. Be bloody careful with mymat nylon.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast