Close

Thread: Waterproof Box

Waterproof Box

Hello all, I would like to get some advice if possible

I am looking to get a small waterproof box printed with internal dimensions of 120mm x 50mm x 26mm.

The box needs to be sturdy enough to not collapse if you put some weight on it but doesn't need to withstand being run over or anything.

You should be able to open it easily without the use of tools.

The box will be sliding into a tight fitting dense foam cavity so protruding clasps and the like are not ideal.

I am looking for any ideas to get me started on the design (mainly how the lid can be constructed to make the box waterproof with the above specifications). I would also like to know how much this would cost (in Australia) both for a one off and for production of many.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,
    A few things.
    1/ 3D prints are not naturally waterproof unless you put a lof of layers on the bottom. You should plan to put a coating.
    2/ how waterproof are you looking for ? you could design a simple rectangular box with a sliding lid but its watertightness would be moderate even with good tolerances. I mean you could put water in it and shake it it wouldn't come out. Would it hold it forever if you overturn it ... not sure.
    Sans titre.jpg
    3/ 3D printing is NOT a mass manufacturing tool. It's comparatively cheap for one-offs but not for large quantities.
    4/ If you go to the 1000 quantities, injection moulding would be better.
    5/ The cost for one depends largely on a few things :
    - material, volume, infill, ....
    - the finish you'll apply and the time you'll spend on it.
    - how much you value your time.
    So the overall answer would be : cheap if you make it for a friend, not easily competitive if you make it for a business.
    Last edited by LambdaFF; 04-29-2016 at 02:20 AM.

Staff Engineer
    Like these:http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TQQN30I?psc=1 ? You can probably replicate boxes like this in plastic using 3D printing - use flexible filament for the snap lids, and pour your own gasket in silicone rubber. But - especially if you're somewhat flexible about the dimensions - you can probably shop around and find one the right size already made.

Quote Originally Posted by LambdaFF View Post
    Hi,
    A few things.
    1/ 3D prints are not naturally waterproof unless you put a lof of layers on the bottom. You should plan to put a coating.
    2/ how waterproof are you looking for ? you could design a simple rectangular box with a sliding lid but its watertightness would be moderate even with good tolerances. I mean you could put water in it and shake it it wouldn't come out. Would it hold it forever if you overturn it ... not sure.
    Sans titre.jpg
    3/ 3D printing is NOT a mass manufacturing tool. It's comparatively cheap for one-offs but not for large quantities.
    4/ If you go to the 1000 quantities, injection moulding would be better.
    5/ The cost for one depends largely on a few things :
    - material, volume, infill, ....
    - the finish you'll apply and the time you'll spend on it.
    - how much you value your time.
    So the overall answer would be : cheap if you make it for a friend, not easily competitive if you make it for a business.
    Thanks for the detailed reply.

1/ Was not aware of that. Upon a little further reading it seems vapor treating ABS can be a solution but inconsistancy seems to be a problem and I imagine cost would be substantially higher.
    2/ It needs to be able to keep water out under pressure (maybe up to 5m) and is important that no water enters. This becomes tricky without a protruding clasp or clip of some kind. I am thinking of maybe a sliding tab sunk in on either side of a lid that slides a flat piece of plastic within the box under a beveled edge to pull the lid down tight or something similar.
    4/ Have looked in to injection moulding but the mould costs $30,000+. Ultimately this is the way we will go if the product is a success but we are not willing to invest this amount without feeling the waters in our market first.
    5/ This is a project I enjoy and am doing in the time I would otherwise be watching TV or stuffing about so the time I spend is not an issue. However, for the product to be commercially viable it has to be produced for well under $5/piece preferably under $1-2. I was never under the illusion that this was possible with 3d printing but I was hoping we could keep it under $10-$15 and make a small loss on the first few 100 models until we were confident to invest the money in a mould. It is looking like 3d printing is probably not a viable option for us.

Thank you again for your help

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Like these:http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TQQN30I?psc=1 ? You can probably replicate boxes like this in plastic using 3D printing - use flexible filament for the snap lids, and pour your own gasket in silicone rubber. But - especially if you're somewhat flexible about the dimensions - you can probably shop around and find one the right size already made.
    Thanks for the reply.

I have looked at these and other similar solutions but the protruding clips make the design not viable (needs to slide into a tight fitting cavity. This is more along the lines of what we are looking for (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/141818725514) but I am skeptical about how waterproof they are and it looks like you will need a a screwdriver or something to open them. They are in the mail so we will see.

I have been searching high and low for something that fits the bill and is already on the market but the dimensions are fairly rigid (a little wiggle room but not much) so it makes it hard. The box in the link would not be ideal as it is a little too big but we could probably make it work if it is waterproof and easy to open (although the raises inside are not ideal)
    Last edited by TomJam; 04-29-2016 at 08:29 PM.