Close

Technologist

New CTC 3D owner

Hello, just thought I should introduce myself.
    I'm not new to 3D printing, having bought one of the Makibox bankrupt stock printers about June last year. I actually got it to print OK after a lot of fettling, with new extruder, E3D hot head, Z Shift wobble etc. so after that experience, the CTC was comparatively easy to get going.

I got it printing within an hour of unpacking it. Needed a couple of lengths of PTFE tubing - which I had in stock, with my first print being a 2nd spool holder. I went around all the screws and tightened everything up and also sorted out a noisy fan with a drop of sewing machine oil. Other than levelling the bed and setting up the extruders to the same height, the printer was good to go.

I'm using Simplify 3D software and printing from SD card using the pre-loaded firmware. Very few issues to solve, except replacing the thermistor, as it reads 30C low.

I'm experimenting with different bed surfaces, but Buildtak seems to work very well. I'm struggling a little with ABS, but this is mainly because I cannot get the bed hot enough due to the misreading thermistor.

So far, I am very impressed. The first print came out very well and PLA seems quite predictable.

Being an inveterate tinkerer, no doubt some mods will follow, but the next thing will be to build a enclosure to reduce warping on ABS. I just need some more polycarbonate next time I am in town. I find the plastic sheets from large clip photo frames work very well and is cheap to buy.

I also have the Kinect scanner and Skanect, which is fun, but not accurate to more than 5mm or so and needs plenty of patience. Still good fun to make models of the kids!

Hi Noiseboy72 - If that number is relevant as a very important year, we share the same
    Is your printed spool as good as the single spool holder supplied ? I can see that software plays a big part in quality output - being that ReplicatorG /skein isn't as good as Slic3r but I haven't purchased or tried S3D.

Technologist
    Hi Tintalala. Yep, well on my way to a mid life crisis... Not sure if I buy a sports car or start sleeping with younger woman...

The printed spool holder was this one: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:295102 Printed at 65% infill initially in PLA, but I think I will re-do in ABS once I am happy with the bed adhesion. It is heavier and not as strong as the one supplied, but I like the design and the spool nuts are good. I turned the piece through 180, as it reduced the amount of support required and moved the supports well clear of the threads - to make clean up easier.

I used to use Repetier and Slic3r with the Makibox, but S3D is leagues ahead. It slices much faster and supports can be manipulated and moved as required. I have already tried some 2 colour printing - a simple dice and that worked very well.

The beast is in bits at the moment, as I fit a new thermistor to the bed. It will be back in business by the weekend though

Technician
    Which thermister did you buy? Like yours mine is way off and I dont like having to calibrate the temps all the time.

Technologist
    Just a 100k bead thermistor from maplin. Will let you know if it is accurate once fitted.

Technologist
    So, the thermistor is fitted and the bed levelled. The temps are now accurate, once the bed has heated up in the first place. 110C indicated gives about 95 on the top side and the combination of Buildtak and some hairspray seems to stick most things quite firmly.