Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is there a "best" glass bed

Looking to get a glass bed to try out. I would prefer not to use the binder clips since I am new to 3D printing and don't want to worry about the nozzle hitting.

So does the corner allow for a repeatable level glass when removed and installed again?

I see flashforge offers a 0.25 thick while makersome offers 5mm (0.19) any different in performance?

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    I use this one, and it works well.

Technician
    I just cracked one of my thin beds. I'm going to buy a this 3-pack @ US$50.

http://www.amazon.com/Borosilicate-P...A36KNDPALTN82Y

I have one of the flashforge .25" beds, and it's fine. I like the .125" beds too, and use a pair that I got a while ago.

Cheers,

John

Engineer-in-Training
    I had zero luck with any of the corner corner clips--they are plastic and will loosen causing shifting in prints. Metal paperclips work better, but then you have to worry about nozzles hitting them.

The ultimate solution for me was to use 0.5mm thermal pads (cut into 5 1.5" squares). Holds the glass down securely, easily removable and lasts a long time.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Sendit View Post
    Looking to get a glass bed to try out. I would prefer not to use the binder clips since I am new to 3D printing and don't want to worry about the nozzle hitting.

So does the corner allow for a repeatable level glass when removed and installed again?

I see flashforge offers a 0.25 thick while makersome offers 5mm (0.19) any different in performance?
    forget all about glass bed just get a printinz zebra flexi build plate, it is the best build plate out there, since buying mine i have not used anything else. it is flawless in the quality requires 0 heat for pla and around 60 for abs, i have had 0 failed prints (except for if it needs a wipe down with rubbing alcahol) it really is the best thing out there.

Quote Originally Posted by djprinter View Post
    I had zero luck with any of the corner corner clips--they are plastic and will loosen causing shifting in prints. Metal paperclips work better, but then you have to worry about nozzles hitting them.

The ultimate solution for me was to use 0.5mm thermal pads (cut into 5 1.5" squares). Holds the glass down securely, easily removable and lasts a long time.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

are these the same thing? http://www.amazon.com/400mm-205mm-Si.../dp/B007PPEW52

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    forget all about glass bed just get a printinz zebra flexi build plate, it is the best build plate out there, since buying mine i have not used anything else. it is flawless in the quality requires 0 heat for pla and around 60 for abs, i have had 0 failed prints (except for if it needs a wipe down with rubbing alcahol) it really is the best thing out there.
    I already order the glass...

Engineer-in-Training
    are these the same thing? http://www.amazon.com/400mm-205mm-Si.../dp/B007PPEW52

I already order the glass...
    Yes, that's the exact same thing. I cut it into five 1.5 inch squares (one for each corner of the plate and one in the middle)--it's a waste to cover the entire glass and that makes it harder to remove.

It will raise the glass by about 0.5mm, so you'll want to add a 0.5mm extra spacer on top of the spacer that you use with your glass plate (I just used a few layers of tape).

Yes, that's the exact same thing. I cut it into five 1.5 inch squares (one for each corner of the plate and one in the middle)--it's a waste to cover the entire glass and that makes it harder to remove.

It will raise the glass by about 0.5mm, so you'll want to add a 0.5mm extra spacer on top of the spacer that you use with your glass plate (I just used a few layers of tape).
    Could you just take the extra 0.5 mm height out with the bed adjustment screws by lowering the bend it self 0.5mm?

Engineer-in-Training
    Could you just take the extra 0.5 mm height out with the bed adjustment screws by lowering the bend it self 0.5mm?
    Probably, but you'd be giving up 0.5mm of adjustment latitude.

Probably, but you'd be giving up 0.5mm of adjustment latitude.
    which is splitting hairs when you think about it. Half rotation of the screw. That's 0.019 or 6 peices of hair @ 0.003
    Last edited by Sendit; 05-03-2016 at 08:06 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast