Close

Thread: Slic3r woes

Technician

Slic3r woes

Hi all,

I've been away from printing for a while, and am starting back up again.

I run linux, xubuntu to be precise, and have had success with my PowerSpec/Flashforge in the past. However, I've upgraded my OS to a more recent version, and have found that makerware and replicatorG both don't work in the newer versions of linux.

I believe I could setup a Virtualbox VM and run my tools inside there, but I've been looking to use slic3r for a while now, and decided to give it a run.

The folks at 3dUniverse.org have a page in which they have listed custom gCoge for slic3r specifically for the Flashforge Creator. (http://www.3duniverse.org/2014/01/05...hforge-creator)

When I slice a test file using this gcode, everything is civilized, the bed and extruder heat up, the priming line is extruded, and then the extruder zooms off to the back right corner of the bed and tries to print off the edge.

I've done my googling, and the answers I've found are thin. I'm running slic3r 1.2.9, which is now bundled with xubuntu, and gtx, also in their software repositories.

In the printer settings, I have defined the bed as rectangular 228 x 150, and the x and y origins at 0. The G-code flavor is set to Sailfish (Makerbot).

I checked the onboard settings from the front panel on the printerprinter settings and the x and y settings are within range (x=154.xx and y=74.xx)

When I run gtx, I use the -g (Makerbot/ReplicatorG Gcode flavor) and -m r1d (Replicator 1 - dual extruder) options, which is the recommendation in the 3duniverse.org page.

All of the discussions I've found so far are from late 2014/early 2015, and are for slightly older versions of slic3r. Have any of the folks on this board ready anything that relates to this issue?

Thanks for any info you might have here.

Cheers,

John

tl;dr: slic3r on new linux thinks the center of the bed is off the back edge.

Technician
    Oops. I tried to reset the x/y origins from 0:0 to 114:75 and it prints just fine.

It's good to be back! Now I have to clear out my left extruder, and I'm going gang busters!

Cheers,

John