Close

How to smooth out an object in inventor/blender?

Hey, I have a part which is essentially several hundred very thin circular disks that approximate a cylinder that bulges out in several places in the middle. I wish to smooth out the cylinder, but the fillet tool doesn't seem to work. Does anyone have any insight?

I don't know how to do it in Inventor, but if you can create an AutoCad DXF file of the profile you can then import it into Openscad to create the object with about 3 lines of code.

bulges.jpg

Looks good, thank you! I'll check it out!

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Tantalizing View Post
    Hey, I have a part which is essentially several hundred very thin circular disks that approximate a cylinder that bulges out in several places in the middle. I wish to smooth out the cylinder, but the fillet tool doesn't seem to work. Does anyone have any insight?
    In Blender you would go into Edit more, use Edge select, hold ALT and right click the middle edge loop of the bulge you want to shrink and press S
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Not really sure what your object looks like, but if you know the size and spacing of the "disks" you can create the entire model fairly easily in Openscad. Here is a picture of one that I created with a separation between each disk so it is easier to visualize.
    bulges2.jpg