Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

pause and plant/insert

hey now...

i want to stop a print so i can insertq/plant a screw/nut/magnet
    im digging the web and gotten closer...but cant figure it out....those gcode and x3g are an anomaly to me..

i found that : http://tgaw.com/wp/?p=359

and thought im heading in the right directon....
    but her printer got a static bed so shes liffting the nuzzle....
    and the in FFCP we need to lower the bed...

sooo im back to square ZERO

im using s3d..

would appreciate guidence if (HELPPPP!!!)

i dont have any expirience is scripting or gcodin....
    so throwing "commends" without explainning what and how
    would only confuse me even MORE..!!

cheers.!!

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by ARTISAN View Post
    hey now...

i want to stop a print so i can insertq/plant a screw/nut/magnet
    im digging the web and gotten closer...but cant figure it out....those gcode and x3g are an anomaly to me..

i found that : http://tgaw.com/wp/?p=359

and thought im heading in the right directon....
    but her printer got a static bed so shes liffting the nuzzle....
    and the in FFCP we need to lower the bed...

sooo im back to square ZERO

im using s3d..

would appreciate guidence if (HELPPPP!!!)

cheers.!!
    <sorry edited my post>
    Realised it wasn't informative enough and what you are asking is too hard for me to explain simply.

Better solution, cut the model in half, print in 2 pieces and add the nut after printing, rejoin halves.
    Last edited by Geoff; 04-16-2016 at 07:30 PM.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Engineer-in-Training
    Pausing a print to insert something is similar to pausing to change filament with a single extruder. There is a nice tutorial using S3D here: https://rivercitylabs.org/two-color-...g-simplify-3d/

It starts about one third down after the STL generating stuff.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Alibert View Post
    Pausing a print to insert something is similar to pausing to change filament with a single extruder. There is a nice tutorial using S3D here: https://rivercitylabs.org/two-color-...g-simplify-3d/

It starts about one third down after the STL generating stuff.
    Not his issue, his issue is changing the bed level during the print so he can fit his hand in there and put the Nut in - the problem is s3D messes up returning the bed to the original position - pausing print and moving the head away to stop melting the print is one thing, moving the bed down and then back up again after the pause is the difficult part.

Engineer-in-Training
    Not his issue, his issue is changing the bed level during the print so he can fit his hand in there and put the Nut in - the problem is s3D messes up returning the bed to the original position - pausing print and moving the head away to stop melting the print is one thing, moving the bed down and then back up again after the pause is the difficult part.
    OK, then the end g-code of the first profile needs to move the bed down by a relative distance, and the start g-code of the second profile needs to move it back up again?

But if the part is not too large, then simply moving the head to the side would also work? That way the bed stays in place as re-positioning the bed will give a visible layer artefact in the print.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Alibert View Post
    OK, then the end g-code of the first profile needs to move the bed down by a relative distance, and the start g-code of the second profile needs to move it back up again?

But if the part is not too large, then simply moving the head to the side would also work? That way the bed stays in place as re-positioning the bed will give a visible layer artefact in the print.
    Essentially yeah, but he required
    So simply saying add a M24 and then an M25 and then adding a G1 S2 Z-50 F500 or something like that isn't going to help him, and I have a limit of how deep I go when helping people - I knew nothing of Gcode before I started 3D printing - I just googled it like the rest of us and learnt from there, and I don't consider myself a terribly bright person, so if I can learn how to do it, anyone can.

I think the problem is he can't fit the nut in by just the head being moved ( I have dropped things into print but never paused, just was careful (but I dont recommend it lol... that printer head is hot when it scores a line over your hand...)

So the bed needs to come down and go back up - but it needs to be so precise to get a clean print when doing that, but I don't have the time to lay it all down on a silver platter for him.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I think just movng the head to one side by hand should do the job. while s3d might not put the bed back properly when re-starting the print if you move it yourself, it will definitely move the head back to the right place when it restarts printing.

While the print is printing you can go into the display menu on the printer and find the setting "pause at zpos". All you need then is how many mm print before the pause. When it gets to that point the printer will pause, move the build plate down and home the nozzle. At that point you can insert what ever you need to insert and press unpause. The print will continue where it left off. I have done this a few times with inserting nuts and when my cat passed away I did it with a Urn I printed out for her ashes.
    Last edited by rforeman; 04-18-2016 at 08:57 AM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    you live and learn - never knew that - cheers :-)

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by rforeman View Post
    While the print is printing you can go into the display menu on the printer and find the setting "pause at zpos". All you need then is how many mm print before the pause. When it gets to that point the printer will pause, move the build plate down and home the nozzle. At that point you can insert what ever you need to insert and press unpause. The print will continue where it left off. I have done this a few times with inserting nuts and when my cat passed away I did it with a Urn I printed out for her ashes.
    And there you go, the most simplest solution and it works, thanks rforeman.

I have to be dead honest.. I so rarely touch my printers control panel these days, I use change filament and pre-heat, I rely on the software to do everything else, seems like that was my downfall! I wonder if my old flashforge has the option....

Artisan, if you can't manage that then... well there is no then, you can manage that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast