Close

divide helmet for 3d prining

Hi,
    I've modeled few helmets in 3ds max, and next thing I wanted to do was some 3d printing. But I've met problem while I wanted to divide helmet into small parts. I tried use boolen, and after that few polygons are missing, or diffrent area is cut of, some times boolen cut right area but add some strings to the model. What am I doing wrong? Is there any alternative methods of parting large object or I can make some mistakes using boolen.
    I tired use 3ds max 2014 and 2016.
    Later one I use boolen and without any problems parts my object well.
    My model is smooth by Meshsmooth and bolded by Shell to add some thickness. It's also reminded me, If I've got something modeld by polygons or mesh. And It's without any thickness. What can I do aside using shell which many times littlebit deforme model.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    there are utilities around that will cut a model into different parts. You can get scripts for openscad and I'm sure I read somewhere of a slicer that offers that facility - I think the one they ship with the cel robox.

As far as designing things as shells and faces.
    Don't: design as proper solids from the start. It'll make your life a 1000 times easier when it comes to actually print them.
    Here's the cel slicer. No idea if it's compatible with other printers - probably not, but it is a free download and you might be able to use it to chop stuff up and just export the .stl's without slicing.
    http://www.cel-robox.com/downloads/
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 03-29-2016 at 11:46 AM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    okay here's how to do it with netfabb
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rostD8O5sg

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by maciejprajzner View Post
    Hi,
    I've modeled few helmets in 3ds max, and next thing I wanted to do was some 3d printing. But I've met problem while I wanted to divide helmet into small parts. I tried use boolen, and after that few polygons are missing, or diffrent area is cut of, some times boolen cut right area but add some strings to the model. What am I doing wrong? Is there any alternative methods of parting large object or I can make some mistakes using boolen.
    I tired use 3ds max 2014 and 2016.
    Later one I use boolen and without any problems parts my object well.
    My model is smooth by Meshsmooth and bolded by Shell to add some thickness. It's also reminded me, If I've got something modeld by polygons or mesh. And It's without any thickness. What can I do aside using shell which many times littlebit deforme model.
    Much easier In blender i've found, I've made several full size helmets now and all were made and cut in blender - I solidify the model just before I cut it up so I can edit the vertices easier.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com