Close

Banned

Does Humidity effect PLA or ABS Filament?

Does anyone know? Does humidity harm filament? I'm referring to the plastic filaments like PLA and ABS. I've read on another site about someone having issues with PLA filament that was stored in humid conditions.

Yes, they absorb moisture from the air and it'll cause all sorts of printing issues in severe cases. It's best to not to leave them laying around without desiccant.

Technician
    This is a worry I have when purchasing filament. How do we know that they have not been stored in humid environments?

A reputable seller will never intentionally sell you subpar products and are usually good about resolving it if they do. Stick to the reputable retailers and I doubt you'll have a problem

Student
    as long as you keep it for about 5 days in a low humidity place PLA should be OK. ABS should be fine , does not absorb moisture.

Yes of course, you have to consider ABS and PLA filaments’ climatic environment (don’t leave a window open next to the printer etc.). Note that ABS will bend under too much heat, so after the first few layers, it’s best to turn down your print bed temperature.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Buy from suppliers that ship in sealed plastic with desiccant.

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    Maybe it's an idea to store the spools in a big bag of rice?