Close

Student
    Woah, another amazing animation on youtube! Can u tell me about ur software too?

Senior Engineer
    Hmm, I wonder what shape the end of the handle draws. With two sliders you get an ellipse but three makes it somewhat more complex I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    Hmm, I wonder what shape the end of the handle draws. With two sliders you get an ellipse but three makes it somewhat more complex I would think.
    Not sure. From the animation, it looks like the sides are almost flat. I think it makes an oval.

Quote Originally Posted by loop View Post
    Woah, another amazing animation on youtube! Can u tell me about ur software too?
    Thanks. The animations were done with Autodesk Inventor.

Senior Engineer
    Looking at it again I think that one of the sliders is superfluous, it could be removed and the machine would still work in the same way.

The only difference between this trammel and the normal two axis one is that the axes do not have a right angle between them and the effect of that (I think) is to move the major and minor axes of the ellipse to a point between the two axes of the trammel.

All of which has nothing at all to do with 3d printing and is probably wrong anyway. I think this needs calculus or some careful drawing to prove. Perhaps the animation software will draw the locus of the handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    Looking at it again I think that one of the sliders is superfluous, it could be removed and the machine would still work in the same way.

The only difference between this trammel and the normal two axis one is that the axes do not have a right angle between them and the effect of that (I think) is to move the major and minor axes of the ellipse to a point between the two axes of the trammel.

All of which has nothing at all to do with 3d printing and is probably wrong anyway. I think this needs calculus or some careful drawing to prove. Perhaps the animation software will draw the locus of the handle.
    I tried to use a pencil attached the handle. The movement was too bumpy to make a nice shape. It looked like an elongated circle or oval.