Close

What am I doing wrong?!! (Upgrades for my Replicator 1)

My brother got me a MonoPrice Architect 3D printer for Christmas and I've been messing around with it for while now. Its based off of the same design as the Makerbot Replicator 1 (the original) and even runs the same firmware according to ReplicatorG.

I'm trying to upgrade from a single to a dual extruder, so I purchased myself a MK8 from eBay and have been having problems every step of the way. I finally got it all installed and plugged in but find myself completely stumped right now...

When I change the settings from single extruder head to dual, it says it can't read the temperature sensor? When I restart the machine, it takes about 5-10 seconds to display the error: 'Heater error my temperature reads are failing! Please check my connections'. All connections are secure. I've reversed the connections to the board several times now with identical results, so I know it's not that they're simply installed backward. I've checked the wires from the thermocouple to the board and both are solid with no breaks in them.

I've tested the current going to the board and it does indicate the analog signal of the thermocouple is making it to the board. The voltage is 0.00V. Now a funny thing happens when I hook my soldering Iron up to the bare exposed thermocouple. When the gun is set to 200*c (I have no way of measuring the accuracy), and I touch it to the thermocouple for less than a second, the temp reading on the board (under the preheat menu) shoots up from 26*c to about 400*c+ until the software tells you that there's an overheat while the voltage spike to about 2.5V. So it is getting a signal, and it can read that signal, but it seems like it's not calibrated correctly or something? Could it be that I have the wrong type of thermocouple? I've read somewhere that the Replicator 1 reads K-type, but I'm not sure if that's what I have, and I'm not sure where to pick one up to test my theory? Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing; I'm way over my head on this lol

I'm completely lost and can't figure out if it is a hardware or software issue right now? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Engineer-in-Training
    Did you update the firmware as well? If not, when doing so do yourself a favor and update to Sailfish firmware.

Quote Originally Posted by Alibert View Post
    Did you update the firmware as well? If not, when doing so do yourself a favor and update to Sailfish firmware.
    I'll give that a try tonight. I've watched a couple youtube instructions on that and was thinking about doing it soon anyway. But I'll report back when I see if that's what the problem is.

Thanks Alibert!

Just finished upgrading to Sailfish. Unfortunately, it had no effect on the temperature sensor. I ordered a new one from eBay and I'll report back with the results. In the meantime, has anyone else experienced this issue? I can't be the only one?