Close

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Donziboy2 View Post
    What happens is that there is some play in the threading of the nut so you can get a small amount of movement, depending on the nut and rod that could be enough movement to cause gaps during printing. If you thread the rods into the nut traps it adds threading to the traps and increases friction, reducing the chance of unwanted movement. I have seen several examples of people making new nut traps that have 2 nuts and a spring in the middle to prevent the backlash.
    Ok, thanks. That's good info. I will keep an eye out for that and print new Z nut traps if I see any sign of banding.

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkASecondTime View Post
    Thankfully I had some extra T-Slot nuts left over because I did not want to have to remove the other ones.

Also, I had to remount the relay switch to the very bottom of the wood because there was no way for me to insert a USB type B connector into the Arduino.

I had to move mine as well.

OK, so I put cable management on the back burner until after I have printed something. Look at this lovely rats nest

I cut the ends off of the ATX PS wires I was planning on using. I used the PCIe (vid card) connector to power the heat bed relay and the CPU connector to power the rest of the machine. I'm not using any of the wires in the motherboard connector (other than the jumper from the green wire to ground) and I clipped the end off a SATA connector to power the hot end fan.

I followed the end stop setup video supplied by Makerfarm and manually levelled the heat bed. I loaded the Test Gcode and that worked as it should. Next I tried to print a test cube and ran into a problem. The extruder motor would only click back and forth one notch but would not extrude anything.

First I tried to manually push some filament down through the hot end and that came out as expected so I know it is not a clogged hot end nozzle. Next I took the stepper motor right out of the extruder assembly to rule out any physical binding but still had the same problem. Next I figured I would adjust the pot on the stepper driver. The voltage measured .647v which seems pretty high from what I've read (all the stepper drivers measured right around this voltage). I adjusted it down to .391v as per the troubleshooting pdf but still have the same problem.

I had an AHA! moment when I realized that there was a little piece of paper that came with the kit that mentioned changing a value in the firmware with regards to the eSTEPS. I changed this value but the problem still remains.

Here is a vid of what is happening when I tell the printer to extrude. I don't know what to try next. Anybody have any suggestions?

Hmm interesting.

Take a look here: https://printrbot.dozuki.com/Answers...back+and+forth

Just make sure you disconnect power before moving any connections.
    Last edited by ThinkASecondTime; 03-30-2016 at 11:28 AM.

OK, I just switched wires for the extruder motor and the Y axis motor and the problem moved to the Y axis while the extruder motor extruded properly. In other words it must be something wrong in the electronics board or the firmware. I am going to try and reinstall the firmware and see where that puts me.

EDIT: Reinstalling the firmware did nothing.
    Last edited by flatty_420; 03-30-2016 at 11:49 AM.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by flatty_420 View Post
    ... I don't know what to try next. Anybody have any suggestions?
    Temporarily swap the motor connections at the electronics. For example, swap the connections for the extruder motor and the X-motor. Does the problem stay with the extruder motor (suggesting the motor is the problem) or move to the other motor?

The prior link suggests an open motor winding can lead to the stepping back and forth. If you have a multimeter and wires poked into the motor connector, look for continuity between pins. Each motor winding has two pins connected to it; you should see a fairly low resistance continuity between those pins.

EDIT: Took too long to get this posted...
    Last edited by printbus; 03-30-2016 at 12:19 PM.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    ...the problem moved to the Y axis while the extruder motor extruded properly.
    what electronics does this have? Can you swap around the motor drivers or are they fixed? EDIT: review of earlier pictures suggests you should be able to swap around the motor driver boards to see if the problem is the driver board.

You're not trying to spin the motor too fast, are you? Are you commanding the move from the LCD, or from host software?
    Last edited by printbus; 03-30-2016 at 11:49 AM.

Here is a vid of what is happening when I tell the printer to extrude. I don't know what to try next. Anybody have any suggestions?

Check your current limit on your stepper driver. If its to low it wont be able to move. Also when you start making your own slicer configs be careful not to set the stepper speed to high for extrusion or it will do a similar thing.

Here is my setup, still need to finish wire management and do inlet/outlet+filter.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast