Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Potential resolution

Hi! This may be getting way ahead of things but speculating is fun. It occurs to me that SLS is being used to fabricate materials with interesting optical effects like structural color generation in the form of diffraction grating. See e.g. http://www.opticsinfobase.org/view_a...bile%3Dno&org=

Could the peachy or a modified version ever achieve the resolution necessary?

Cheers from Norway!

The link didnt work for me...

Cheers from norway to! :-)

Huh, strange - but this is actually much more relevant.

Super Moderator
    A bit more accessible explanation of what is being talked about - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structural_coloration

Basically, micrometer and nanometer-scale features on an object to alter the light reflected to create the appearance of colours, rather than using pigments.

Quote Originally Posted by Compro01 View Post
    A bit more accessible explanation of what is being talked about - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structural_coloration

Basically, micrometer and nanometer-scale features on an object to alter the light reflected to create the appearance of colours, rather than using pigments.
    Yeah as I searched it yesterday, I read the same about it and well I still wonder, I can't imagine that peachy printer has that much potential. Please proof me wrong, I am happy with it already Would be awesome of course, if this is also in some way possible, when you modify and print it in a specific way.

Well, according to the paper I linked earlier you don't need the extremely complicated 3d-microstructure of a butterfly-wing to achieve at least some coloring effects, simple round dimples or squares/hexagons with diameters and depths of a couple of microns should do it. Perhaps the code that generates the "in between" layers talked about in the last update could be utilized to generate very thin lines in e.g a vase and form a diffraction grating that turns it deep blue or whatever. If control over micrometer features are possible you could map a bitmap to the vase and have ridiculously high-res full-colour printing on it. Not to mention all the iridescence effects possible (use the alpha-chanel of said bitmap to control shininess/sparkles!).
    Last edited by Morten; 03-04-2014 at 07:55 AM.

if this work, i think the next step is to print a cd/dvd inkl. music/film

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Synchron View Post
    if this work, i think the next step is to print a cd/dvd inkl. music/film
    The lawyers would have fun with that. Is the audio file that causes a Peachy to print a DVD containing a file which can be decoded into a movie actually copyrighted? And what about the audio file that causes the Peachy to print a DVD containing the audio file that causes the Peachy to print a DVD containing a file which can be decoded into a movie?

Technician
    just think about the SIZE of the datafile to generate the details you are talking about, not to mention the needed superfine control of the mirrors, and then start figuring out how long the prints would need to be for the detail level you want

Stuff like regularly-shaped indentations could likely be automatically generated on-the-fly, you wouldn't need to model the whole thing down to micron-scale just for that. You could use a bitmap as input. Superfine control of the mirrors.. yes, I guess, that's why I was asking. I would like to know what the theoretical /actual size of a Peachy voxel is, or potentially can be As to print time... given the possibilities I would be willing to wait quite a while for a print that was colored like a butterfly altho it's just made of microscale-structured white plastic.
    Last edited by Morten; 03-05-2014 at 04:35 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast