Close

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Before Zortrax placed their forum on maintenance mode (probably because they offering bonds and do not want investors to read their forum else their will not get their quick money) some users reported that they have received a printer with Z axis being simple trapezoidal screw, as you know a ball screw is used in zortrax.
    No forum announcement was made regarding ball screw change etc. Do you want to buy from company that changes major components when they want? And you discover this when you receive the printer?

First they removed the no maintenance IGUS bearings, now the ball screw. This machine is not worth the money.

Zortrax forum member Tivoli posted: "My new Zortrax came with trapezoidal screw. What is the reason you resigned to use the ball screw for z axis?"

This has been confirmed by few forum posts by Zortrax CEO Rafal, stating that:

"@Tivol, it's many reasons why we change it:
    1. Long delivery time, production has moved to 3-4 weeks.
    2. Difficult assembly and maintenace.
    3. We noticed several cases of damage Z coupler.
    4. A large number of poorly made screws that had to be returned to the manufacturer.
    5. In addition to the visual appearance there is no difference in print quality. The tests lasted almost half a year.

Best Regards,
    Rafal

"

I would like to note that zortrax print platform is removable and held by magnets, you can conveniently remove the platform and then remove your print. This avoids any debrief getting anywhere.

User smile noted that: "Repetitive movements that are reproducible call for a ball screw, everybody know this. Lead screws are for cheap equipment like hobby CNC made in china etc. Can I get a printer with ball screw? At least there should be an option to choose."

However this user was banned afterwards.

This is all facts that has happened, this not gossip.
    Last edited by huberbobas; 03-30-2014 at 05:17 PM.

Technologist
    Well, just want to give an update as to which printer I've chosen, and why.

I have been seconds from purchasing the F306. I was given a discount and had an invoice set up, however, at the last minute, I was advised over and over again that the price was too high for what it was. Really, I think the price is decent, but I do think it's a very simplistic and economical design that should lend to a much lower price. In any case, considering I'm not a fantastic modeler, I've decided that spending $2800 is perhaps not the best idea for a beginner. I've decided to go with the Rostock Max V2. This printer has received great reviews from all those I've asked. In fact, even the creator of the F306 had said that SeeMeCNC (Rostock) is a good choice to go with if choosing a Delta style printer. At $999 + Shipping, it makes much more sense for someone to learn to model and print with. It is a kit, but I'm actually looking forward to that. I think it'll be a fun puzzle to play with. As for the printer itself. It has an 11" diameter x ~14" H build area. Not too bad, not great for square parts, but all the same. It comes with a Rambo board, which is nice, and perhaps I will be able to swap out the hotend for a E3D hotend, and perhaps even go dual extruder down the road.

You guys mention the attitudes of the Zortrax staff... this was one of the primary reasons I chose to stay away from this printer. The specs were so very very optimistic, however, at this stage it is still unable to print a higher resolution that 140microns, and PLA is a last priority for the Zortrax team. Their attitudes are a bit high and mighty I admit. They seem not very accommodating, or willing to listen to their customers.

Makerbot seems like they want to be the Apple of the industry. They're putting all of their efforts into the design, and not really the functionality.

Ultimaker 2... this one's tricky. Their machine's really nice. I have no issue with the quality of the machine, however, the price is just far too high for what you're getting. At nearly $3K shipped, it's just not worth it. I do see the clones popping up, and these look appealing, but, if I had to choose between a clone and the Rostock, it's not too tough a decision, as I'll have much more people to troubleshoot with owning a Rostock.

The Airwolf3D HD was another I was so very close to pulling the trigger on. I love that they have configurations already in place for the various types of filaments. They have a great all metal hotend based on the Budaschnozzle I believe. The issue that was pointed out to me about the HD was that the bed wouldn't be stiff enough for a build volume of its size, so that there would be a degradation in quality. Considering the tech behind the AW3D, I can pass for it being a $3K machine... and again, probably best not to spend that kind of money with my modeling experience, I've started to realize.

There were many many others in consideration, but price to performance, they just didn't have it. So, in the end, I think the SeeMeCNC machine win it. Would love to hear opinions on this though, if anyone has any.

There is also very nice printer called Mingda_3D_printer

http://esdmd.en.alibaba.com/product/...r_machine.html

Yes it's made in china, but print quality is very nice, then there is spiderbot.eu with their delta printer with chamber heater feature making big parts from abs no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by huberbobas View Post
    There is also very nice printer called Mingda_3D_printer

http://esdmd.en.alibaba.com/product/...r_machine.html

Yes it's made in china, but print quality is very nice, then there is spiderbot.eu with their delta printer with chamber heater feature making big parts from abs no problem.
    I ordered a Ultimaker 2 and canceled my order as soon i seen that. I got that printer and its great, built like a tank. The only details that i did not like is that they mounted x-y motors on standoffs so i machined them from alluminium (i have my machine shop so i did not have to buy them, but you can for 20 $ on ebay if needed). It prints perfect, the construction is strong, stable and rigid. All parts are of high quality and im perfectly happy. Compared to Ultimaker 2, UM2 looks like a dollar store toy. I have seen Ultimaker 2 in person and was surprised how cheaply it is built, clearly a product designed to fill someones pockets with alot of money, totally not worth what it costs. And check howmany people have problems with it (especially that cheap feeder) I have seen dollar store toys built more stable and rigid. On my printer feeder is made from aluminium, geared stepper and hardened steel feeding gear. It is enough strong to pull a stell cable if needed.

Zortrax is on the other hand lead by people that don't work honest, i would avoid that one even more. Their forum is heavily moderated, they gave up on that project but still "milking the cow" as long as they can. Most of users unfortunately ended with not working (bad working) printers and still hold back because they keep promising new firmware that will turn their printers to "gold". In latest time a lot of problems appeared with printers not delivered, and ones that were delivered with changed key components (cheaper ones) and accidentally their forum disappeared.

Im open for any questions

Thumbs up Zortrax Don't Give 2 Hoot About The Costomer

I see in the comments above that Zortrax silence their own users even talking to each now? This is really bad. Even if there were people who had caused problems - why did they ban everyone talking. This is just another example of a Sh * t companys who do not know how to run a business. I think that this is quite common for companies starting at Kickstarter . They may have a great idea, but they do not understand about any of the other things they need to do for a buyer.

I know that I picked out technical deficiencies in their product before , and I would not buy one for me, but if someone at Zortrax reads this - begin to respect the customers you have because they will surely leave. If you turn off the site, they will simply start their own and walk away from you. Then you have no control at all and may not even write your response.

For them customer, please start behaving Zortrax

Quote Originally Posted by RepRappa View Post
    I see in the comments above that Zortrax silence their own users even talking to each now? This is really bad. Even if there were people who had caused problems - why did they ban everyone talking. This is just another example of a Sh * t companys who do not know how to run a business. I think that this is quite common for companies starting at Kickstarter . They may have a great idea, but they do not understand about any of the other things they need to do for a buyer.

I know that I picked out technical deficiencies in their product before , and I would not buy one for me, but if someone at Zortrax reads this - begin to respect the customers you have because they will surely leave. If you turn off the site, they will simply start their own and walk away from you. Then you have no control at all and may not even write your response.

For them customer, please start behaving Zortrax
    Hello!

I agree with your opinion, i was lookin to buy Zortrax myself some time ago. I asked questions, did not get answer. I posted on forum and got banned, and that told me enough. I have also noticed later that the staff was very rude to customers on forums many times and even insulting them, banning them and what not.

I would not agree its common for Kickstarter companies.

Thank you for the thread..
    I was trying to decide between a Zortrax or UM2, but now I'm even more confused!

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by csshih View Post
    Thank you for the thread..
    I was trying to decide between a Zortrax or UM2, but now I'm even more confused!
    Took me over a month to decide. As someone coming into 3D printing for the very first time, it's easy to let the marketing hype make your decision for you, but best thing to do is visit the manufacturer forums, or forums like this and just read about the experiences from the users. Read the troubleshooting sections to see what problems people are having, read the "what are you making" type threads, to see the quality of prints coming out of the machine. My budget was $3K when I went into this mindset of purchasing a printer, but after having learned so much I decided to go with the SeeMeCNC Rostock Max V2 kit, and build it myself. I finished my build a couple of days ago... it took me much longer than it typically would as I have severe back pain, and there was a lot of waiting on parts for upgrades that I wanted to add initially. I spent $995 on the kit, and additionally about $300 on tools and parts for upgrades. I'm pretty happy with my decisions. My very first print looked great for the most part, and now I have a much better understanding of the mechanics of the machine. I'm not afraid to take apart the hotend and such.

You have a lot of options other than those two choices right now. Almost too many options. You may want to take a look at the Wanhao 4X, looks pretty good with dual extruders. Cheap too, at about $1100. Just don't feel that you need to spend the kind of money UM2 is asking for their machine to get quality prints.

That's what's killing me! I have an Up Plus 2 - and I'm reasonably happy with the print quality, but the print volume of that machine isn't enough for me anymore.

I actually do like their software and raft system- peeling the raft off does make for a very clean bottom without any post-processing.. there are very few reviews talking about how the bottom of the prints look.
    Unfortunately I don't have too much time to DIY, but that rostock does look very cool. I just wish there were a printer with all the upgraded parts, -everything- you could want in a single kit. Fiddling with settings is my nightmare.

My ideal 3D printer is one that works right out of the box(hah- even the up plus needed fiddling in the form of replacing the build platform with a glass one and doing manual levelings etc..), can do ABS and PLA, has around 8"^3 (the bigger the better) build volume, is accurate, ideally is quiet but that's not a must, and fast. Of course, good software is a plus too. I'm sure everyone is looking for something like that, though

Technologist
    Yeah, I hear you, I wanted to upgrade everything on this thing before I even had a chance to see how it runs stock. I ended up just going with a few upgrades: 24V 31A power supply, dampers on the motors, which makes it much more quiet, and a screw-in thermistor, for which I had to drill and tap a hole for in the hotend (which made me nervous). I really want to go dual extruder and I'm looking into whether or not an all metal hotend would be a good idea (E3D for example).

What you're looking for is definitely what I was looking for. Except once I started looking at 8"^3 build volumes, I wanted even more!! Have you looked into Airwolf printers? They look really good too, albeit a little pricey. They have a really nice looking hotend, so no need to upgrade that part.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast