Close

3D print strength issues, HELP

Well to start off I am very new to the 3d world and have no engineering background. I have attempted to design a dome in solidworks and it came out quite well...on my screen that is.

I made the mistake of purchasing a Cube 3 which does not let you set custom infills (I feel like If I could choose 100% my problems will be over.)

My design is very similar to this and this, I used solidworks and made a similar thing but then added threads to both parts so they can be unscrewed and screwed back on. I have a shell settings of 2mm (maybe that is my issue?)

When I print the first inch of the project (then cancel to test fit) it comes out very weak and flimsy. In the 2mm shell there is actually a gap! I do not know if I just have to design it differently in solidworks or if I have to get another 3d printer.

I do have access to a CubePro, I will try my print on that later. I think you can set 90% infill.. but still not 100... (URG)

Any advice?

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    A picture of the failed print would be helpful.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    It is rare to print things at anything near 100% infill in my experience. Put up some pictures and maybe screenshots so that we can give helpful suggestions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS3kb4AwY-w

I want something thats rigid (and would snap before I could bend it like that)

Thanks

I changed it from 2mm to 4mm - Would going to ABS make it stronger? Then I could change it to 2mm or 3mm? For a RC Airplane so weight is important. Il upload the STL shortly.

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    I think you are correct, it needs to be thicker. As to the ABS question, what are you currently using? If it's just plain PLA then yes ABS would be stronger. However there might be lighter PLA alternatives that are stronger.
    Last edited by ServiceXp; 02-11-2016 at 05:50 PM.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Also, which directions your layers go is important. You want boundaries to cross your stress, not be parallel to it.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    also how you slice it makes a lot of difference. more shells and less infill can make a stronger structure. As well as the type and orientation of the infill.

And one thing I think you've overlooked. when it's part of a dome, the rest of the structure will reinforce itself and stop the edge being quite so flexible.
    And when two domes go together to makea spehe it'll be a considerably more rigid.

pla is stiffer than abs - so stick with that. But make a complete dome before you assume it'll be too flexible.

I've made pla spheres with thinner walls than that - basically ping pong balls - were pretty rigid and bounced really well until the dog crunched them up :-)

Once you've got the whole shape - it'll be a lot more rigid.