Close

suggestions for sticking PLA printed parts to glass

I'm printing handles and hinges for glass doors. I need a way to stick them to the glass. While epoxy is the best method so far, I was curious if anyone else had suggestions by way of double sided tape that worked well with PLA. Thanks.

Follow Bobby Lin On Twitter Add Bobby Lin on Facebook Add Bobby Lin on Google+
    I use Elmer's glue for or sometimes the blue Painters Tape to stick my PLA to my glass bed.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    lol he's not talking about sticking filament to a print bed - but finished pla parts to glass.

I would think that superglue gell would be ideal.
    Has better grip and placement than plain runny superglue and works well with both glass and plastic.

I personally use UHU all purpose clear glue for sticking pla to itself or anything else.
    Though have never tried sticking it to glass.

Tape wise you could try doube sided carpet tape. tends to be thicker than other double sided tapes and very sticky. It's also intednde for long term use so would last longer than standard double sided tape.
    Just make sure to sand the pla smooth that's going tobe i n contact with the tape - that way you get more surface area touching the adhesive.

With super glue gell or uhu - don't sand. You actually want the uneven surface for the glue to penetrate and give better grip.

Thanks for the suggestion UHU looks interesting. I'll try that to compare. I just tried heavy duty mounting tape and so far it's worked better than I expected.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    got pictures ?

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by konton View Post
    I'm printing handles and hinges for glass doors. I need a way to stick them to the glass. While epoxy is the best method so far, I was curious if anyone else had suggestions by way of double sided tape that worked well with PLA. Thanks.
    3M make a double sided tape for a wall hook (5-10kg) it would literally stick Jesus to the cross.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com