Close

HELP NEEDED: stuttering Y-axis servo on Creator X

Hi all,

Just bought a second hand Creator X last week. It's been printing beautifully so far, until the Y-axis started stuttering today. It basically pauses randomly at the start of a Y-axis move for a fraction of a second, ruining the prints. I've attempted to troubleshoot by checking the belt and replugging the stepper motor - it seems like the stepper itself is not moving when it stutters - not a belt issue. Does this mean it's time to replace the stepper?

To illustrate, I've recorded the malfunction and uploaded it to youtube [unlisted of course] :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc0Uf-FNKdA&feature=youtu.be

Thank you very muchly in advance )

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    How about the pulley? It's sounds like the motor is indeed running, but maybe you have a loose pulley?

That can be caused by Voltage level being intermittent or too Low, from motherboard, also.

You could Swap that motor with another, to see if problem follows the motor
    or if problem is with that output from Mobo.
    (That will let you know if the motor is bad or there's some other problem)
    (Some motherboard types have Adjustable voltage outputs, so may want to check on that)

Over-Heating and failure of motors is common,
    which is why I have a fan blowing directly on X & Y Motors
    But failure of Mobo outputs is common , due to overheating, also.
    ( I replaced the Mobo fan with a quieter 120mm size)
    Last edited by EagleSeven; 01-30-2016 at 08:50 AM.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    It's almost always a bad cable. It is also common if a stepper wire is ran too closely to power wires, or is bundled up with power wires in a harness. Fix is to separate out the stepper cables and route them away from power sources.