Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wilson 2

Wilson 2

Has anyone on here Printed/Assembled a Wilson 2? Any hints or known issues we should be concerned with? TIA
    printer.jpg

I guess nobody is interested in a large format RepRap printer. We finished printing all the parts and started the assembly. So far, so good.

IMG_0874.jpg

Printer is complete. Will calibrate and test print this week. Assembly looks beefy and stable.

IMG_7861.jpg

No idea why my pics are not orienting correctly when I upload them? Even tried rotating to no avail?
    Attached Images Attached Images

That looks very nice!

Thanks Roxy, my son wanted something new to take to the Midwest RepRap conference

Here is the first print on the Wilson.

print1.jpg

Just learned that Joe Prusa is flying out for the Midwest RepRap Conference in March.

Well, we had to re-do the belt idler bearings to smooth out the prints, much better results now. I'll call this printer ready to put in the line now!

IMG_0984.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Nice! I am interested in a large scale one! as soon as I get my normal scale one working properly..

I changed the extruder to a geared extruder - it works really well, but I'm having trouble calculating or knowing how to calculate the new steps per axis. Nothing else on the machine changed, so it's wierd.. The extrusion is perfect, it's not the extruder steps, it's the Z steps.

My print starts off really well - the first layer is perfect, but instead of it raising the Z axis by 0.2mm increments to print each layer, it does the base layer perfect, then the next one at like 0.4mm high, then the next one at 0.8mm high etc..
    It's way out of whack :/

Oh well, gonna be one of those Sundays!
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Sounds like something might be wired wrong, double check everything first. One time I had one jumper off under the stepper driver card and it drove me crazy until we found it.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnA136 View Post
    Sounds like something might be wired wrong, double check everything first. One time I had one jumper off under the stepper driver card and it drove me crazy until we found it.
    Ironically haven't changed any wiring after it was working fine, just the firmware is a completely new one so it's still getting setup. The prusa calculator and all the other things just confuse the hell out of me..

I think I might have it, I think the steps per unit for Z were stupidly off.. Everything official is telling me 4000, the calculator telling me 2560, but all the forums saying 394...

Seems like 394 did the trick lol or close too it, just fine tuning now.

I often forget that there is a tonne of controls in the LCD panel, I barely even look at it because Im punching in commands to pronterface... But yeah I adjusted the E steps and the Z steps and she is printing again... This prusa has been the only pain the ass printer i've built. I swear im sticking to kossels if I can't get this sorte haha.. they are so easy to calibrate compared to this, or at least to the point where the prints are A1.

Anyone who is ever on Ebay and sees those $390 clear acrylic prusa printers.. and you think to yourself.. hmm maybe.. could it be any good for $390?? 1.75mm, 0.4mm nozzle, 20x20x20....

Well, a year later and it's cost alot more than that. A new extruder (didn't skimp, got a merlin Hexagonal) (as they sent 3mm with the kit!! ) their hotend assembly was so cheap it broke in 5 minutes of printing, printed a new geared extruder... bought new hobbed gears, new steppers etc..

Never by anything with "Sintron" or "Aurora" in the title.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast