Close

Engineer-in-Training

Cutting Aluminum Bed

Has anyone done this? I'd like to remove some material to lighten things up a bit. i am concerned that taking too much material away will increase the probability of warping.

My wood bed was a banana before I replaced it. I'd hate to have the aluminum start bending too. I was thinking of taking some large triangle chunks out so that the bed resembles the Union Jack. I could easily do this with the tools I have at home.

My other thought would be to have a bunch of hexes machined into it but that would be a bit $$$.

Follow 3dex ltd On Twitter Add 3dex ltd on Facebook
    Do you already have an aluminium print bed? Or is this something you are considering to save some weight?

Engineer-in-Training
    I already have the bed. My original wooden bed was horrible. I changed to the aluminum upgrade and want to try and make it a bit lighter. The 12" version has a lot of mass to move around.

Quote Originally Posted by tsteever View Post
    I already have the bed. My original wooden bed was horrible. I changed to the aluminum upgrade and want to try and make it a bit lighter. The 12" version has a lot of mass to move around.
    I'd probably cut circles rather than wedges if I wanted to do this but my fear would be uneven heat distribution on the hot bed depending on how you have insulated.

Are you trying for really fast speeds?

Engineer-in-Training
    I have adhesive pipe insulation attached to the bed currently. The hole thing may be manageable With a drill press and the other hand tools I have. Doesn't have to be pretty as it gets covered up by the insulation. My main concern is the rigidity of the mount once that material has been removed.