Close

Is there such thing as an affordable home 3d metal printer?

First post.

Is there such thing as an affordable home 3d metal printer?

Looking to make my own cufflinks from CAD designs. Is it possible to buy a domestic metal printer for home yet or is the tech still far away?

Thanks

There was a startup company that was working on a desktop metal laser sintering printer a while back on one of the crowd funding sites. I just tried to find them but didn't have any luck. I don't know how their campaign went or if it was successful. I have yet to see a desktop 3D metal printer. Look into having something like shapeways do your cuff links if it's a one off project. Other wise, most resin SLA/DLP printers (like the one used on my youtube channel linked in my signature) can use investment casting resin to make metal parts.

Staff Engineer
    Affordable for whom? If you're on the Forbes list, then yes. Otherwise, you might consider an indirect method like Garage Science recommends. Or use a subtractive tool, like a small CNC mill, instead of 3D printing.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

That I know of, the only ones who claim to make desktop 3D printers under 10k€ and seem to have made it work are those http://auroralabs3d.com/

Quote Originally Posted by LambdaFF View Post
    That I know of, the only ones who claim to make desktop 3D printers under 10k€ and seem to have made it work are those http://auroralabs3d.com/
    Well, is it just me or they don't even show a picture of their printer (which seems to be on pre-order) , yet alone a video showing it in action.