Close

Threaded View

3D printer / laser plans for DIY and advices chosing a model (delta, cartesian, etc)

Hello guys,

I really want to start building a printer, or buying a kit for a 3D printer but there are so many models I don't really know where to start.

I already own a large CNC (900x600x200mm working surface) with big NEMA34 8Nm motors, I could attach an extruder or a laser diode near the spindle but I don;t want to have this big cnc running for hours, when 3D printing or laser engraving, I want to have a different machine for those tasks, with smaller motors / drivers (less electricity to pay, less noise, etc...)

My main goals are :

1. Spend as little $$$ as possible, $400 maybe ?
    2. Adding from the begging or after the 3D printer is created an laser diode to be able to engrave or cut soft materials (the maximum I can think will be engraving aluminium but maybe I won't get such a powerful diode, cutting 3mm ply for the begging will be ok )
    3. Work surface should be around 30x30x30cm , maybe I can make some dimensions smaller the 30cm if the costs go high because of this
    4. Probably I will get from the begging a good extruder that can use Nylon also (if it can print using Nylon, it will print without any issues with PLA, ABS, right ? )
    5. I seen a smartphone phone holder, quite good looking but the 17 hours printed time to me sounds really really high, if it can print fast without spending alot more, than I'll go that way (120mm/s seems very high to me, I don't really know what hardware I'll need for Sailfish, but this should be one of the specs of the printer, capable to be drived by Sailfish - I just heard about this firmware, don't know nothing about it so far, but what I found, looks good)

I have some 20x80 OpenBUilds profiles, maybe you guys can recommend a printer that used those type of profiles as I already have them.

I seen a few photos like this bellow, maybe I'll go with Sailfish Firmware if it's that much better (it seems weird to me that the left models look quite bad, don't know why, I'm sure it's not entirely because of the other firmware's as only a few 3D prints I seen so far that bad)

IMG_0886_preview_featured.jpg

Any advice's to chose a good printer are welcome. Thank you.

PS. I don't mind tinkering with arduino and other related things, made myself a few projects with Arduino like Thermocouble with LCD screen, a Multi temperature sensor logger with SD card and RTC, to log the temperature from multiple places in my drone when flying in -15°C, a few drones (tricopter, quad and hexacopters), etc ..
    Last edited by sibianul; 01-22-2016 at 09:59 AM.