Close

Print rough higher up - Possible Causes? Please see pic with zoom

Hey all,

I wanted to see if any of you could identify the possible cause of this print getting more rough (it wasnt great to begin with I know) part of the way up? I used a 50x pocket microscope and it seems to be some small gaps (see in pic), but why would something like that start happening all the sudden after 20+ layers? I am new and learning so if you can tell me what types of issues can cause this I will start troubleshooting.

It was a ABS print with 100 bed temp, 220 extruder temp and it is repeatable.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

3d print rough changeover regular.jpg

Under-extrusion.

Extruder calibration is pretty much a visual process, as opposed to a measured process. Under-extrusion is not that visible at lower layers as they pressed up against the build platform causing them bulge out and produce a bit of back pressure. As you go higher this pressure is relieved and little gaps appear.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Also, the print is smaller higher up, so the time between passes decreases, which can also affect how the layers bind.

A good acetone smoothing will help those layers bond better post print, especially if the print is good enough to keep, but just to harden/smooth the layers out.

But follow SF's solution too, it's probably more right.

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    I would also add after you confirm your calibration, and if it's still present, try slowing the print down.