Close

My Creator Pro keeps clogging the nozzle with PLA! Help!

Hello! I am trying to do 4 "larger" prints. The first took 8 hours and came out perfectly. The next two took 12 hours each, and came out perfectly. I am down to the last piece. Yesterday, the machine clogged about 40% of the way through. I took it apart and fixed it - tested it and it worked perfectly. I started the print again. This morning around 3am, I checked on the print, and sure enough, the dang thing had clogged again!!! I don't know why it keeps doing it, and now its frustrating!

I am printing with the nozzle at 200 degrees, the bed is at 70 degrees. Nothing has changed from the first three prints!

Please help!

Need to determine if 200C is Actual temp at nozzle ?
    I've found there can be up to 20C difference in displayed temp and Actual.
    (I use a digital-thermometer, with thermocouple-probe, in direct contact with nozzle)

Also, Not all PLA filament is the same, some require slightly higher temp than other spools,
    and there can be Bad spots in filament spools.

I read about some tests that were done,
    and they found that different areas of filament on a spool were different strengths and flexibility,
    indicating that not all the plastic is the same on a spool.
    Last edited by EagleSeven; 01-20-2016 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleSeven View Post
    Need to determine if 200C is Actual temp at nozzle ?
    I've found there can be up to 20C difference in displayed temp and Actual.
    (I use a digital-thermometer, with thermocouple-probe, in direct contact with nozzle)

Also, Not all PLA filament is the same, some require slightly higher temp than other spools,
    and there can be Bad spots in filament spools.

I read about some tests that were done,
    and they found that different areas of filament on a spool were different strengths and flexibility.
    So would you say that since this is a cheaper filament (Inland from Microcenter) that there is a chance that this is just fluky.

Quote Originally Posted by Turdbol View Post
    So would you say that since this is a cheaper filament (Inland from Microcenter) that there is a chance that this is just fluky.
    Yes, I wanted to let you know of 2 Possible causes
    that you may not have thought about.
    (Of course there are other possible causes)

I think I would first try increasing nozzle temp to about 205C,
    to see if that helps. (if you don't have the meter to get actual temp)

Quote Originally Posted by EagleSeven View Post
    Yes, I wanted to let you know of 2 Possible causes
    that you may not have thought about.
    (Of course there are other possible causes)

I think I would first try increasing nozzle temp to about 205C,
    to see if that helps.
    Awesome! Thank you so much for the replies! I'll give this a whirl as soon as I get home from work and will report the details ASAP!

Follow 3dex ltd On Twitter Add 3dex ltd on Facebook
    PLA can usually go to around 210 - 215 deg so try it there if even the 205deg does not work.

Okay - so here's an update to the problem. It's failed two more times, but NOT due to it clogging. What appears to be happening, is that the nozzle is acquiring a little amount of PLA on the end, and eventually, it hardens, and collects more. Eventually, it hardens over the end, and the it just stops extruding filament. It continues with the print, but nothing comes out. Does anyone have any thoughts to this? I didn't make it any hotter than 200 degrees yet, would that possible help?!

Follow 3dex ltd On Twitter Add 3dex ltd on Facebook
    It would sound from your description that the nozzle is too cold. I would suggest heating it up to around 220deg.

It may also be the case that your nozzle thermistor is not reading the correct temperature and is actually over-reading. Or it could be that you have some very poor quality PLA thats melting temperature could be higher than the usual 180-190deg.

So try heating the nozzle higher than you normally would. Perhaps to around 220 and see if this problem stops.