Close

New Delta Printer Setup issues Try to Print and Head goes out the side of printer!!

Please any help would be great This is my first 3d printer but have been around computers and electronics since i has a kid pre 1990. I am not a total idiot but as i get older things take a time to understand before i can get it all. That being said i have a printer kit i setup and am running marlin have it basically configured to what i can tell is basically dead on for setting the table center x y and z along with home and length of rods and import setting in the configuration.h file. I can command home and dead center on table at correct height. when i try to print from pronterface or direct from usb the steppers travel down slightly then the x tower goes to about halfway down and then it will push straight out the side between y and z towers and the head will try to continue below the glass. i do not know what i am doing wrong.
    Thanks for any help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42uQTsg04oQ

video of what happens just printing test box from the sd card. after warm up
    Last edited by Decipher; 01-17-2016 at 03:45 PM.

You should move the nozzle around and see how far and where you can put it without a problem. You can use G1 X???.??? Y???.??? to do that.

I'm wondering if you are going outside the printable radius and confusing the printer.

i dont think the print i have is small especially the test box is quite small. just no matter what i print from pronterface or the sd the machine goes striaght for the edge of the machine and shoves the head outside have to pull power so it doesnt attempt to bash the print head into the frame when i use the G1 X???.??? Y???.??? in pronterface i get nothing or am i supposed to use it in the config? thanks
    Last edited by Decipher; 01-17-2016 at 05:44 PM.

It's likely that you have your bed set as rectangular in a particular software setting. I believe prontrface has such a setting.

Even if you have a rectangular bed you, most software puts the origin in the wrong place for a delta when rectangular is selected. Deltas require a centered origin which is normally associated with the circular bed option/setting.

luckyimperial, actually was late getting back here after trying Cura, all works fine. Not sure why even the sd card would give problems, it is possible the settings wither pronterface are wrong but since i have a solution i wont be printing from it anyway. This is my first print can quite good so i think i must of calibrated it well.
    thanks!

IMG_4987.jpg

For my learning and understanding i would like to figure out why / what i did that was causing it to not work correctly. This is my first printer but for sure not my last, as i will be probably going to get something bigger and maybe build a large reprap etc for larger parts.

Well... You have a GCode file that works with Cura. I would try using that same file in PronterFace and see if the problem re-appears. If so, you have the problem narrowed down to PronterFace and probably it's configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by Decipher View Post
    For my learning and understanding i would like to figure out why / what i did that was causing it to not work correctly. This is my first printer but for sure not my last, as i will be probably going to get something bigger and maybe build a large reprap etc for larger parts.
    It's because your slicing settings were wrong when you generated that original gcode. Cura placed the origin at the correct place, in the center. Pronterface, which I believe uses Slic3r instead of Cura, placed your origin in the wrong spot.

Like I said previously, deltas require a centered origin, which is not default. The default origin placement for most slicing software is in the corner since most printers are Cartesian.

Thanks I understand now.