Close

Student

Travel, TSA and a 3D Printer

I recently took a new job as a traveling manufacturing engineer. When I say travel this isn't a week or two here and there; This is 3 weeks straight at a location, home for a weekend then off to the next location. Will be doing this for 1 full year. Problem is I love designing and tinkering, this can be incredible difficult from a hotel room hundreds of miles from home.

I've got a computer lined up to buy to run Solidworks and 3D printing software (Dell i7559-763BLK). The final gadget I'd like would be a 3D printer. From what I've researched the best value and fit for my situation is the Printrbot Simple Metal.

Simple-1403-w-Alu-Handle-and-Rack-1505111.jpg

But before I go and take the plunge on a 3D printer, I'd like to at least make sure I can take it to the places I'm going. I've looked at shipping it but shipping alone adds a massive price tag for something of this size and weight. I've considered checking it in my luggage or buying a Pelican case and checking it as seperate luggage, the issue now comes from security/tampering and damaging my printer.

It feels like the best course of action would be to put it in my carry on luggage. I've heard complaints about TSA throwing a fit over exposed wires/circuit boards or unfamiliarity with devices like this. From those who have traveled before with a 3D printer, what has your experience been like?

Does anyone have any other suggestions for transporting a 3D printer from hotel to hotel?

Follow 3dex ltd On Twitter Add 3dex ltd on Facebook
    I have never had any experience at travelling with a 3D printer. However, I think having its own case is perhaps the best option. Could you buy a suitcase, fill it with padding and keep your printer in there and just use it like another piece of luggage? I know you have concerns it will be tampered etc but this would probably be an issue with whatever method you choose?

Out of interest, judging by your user name I am guessing you have a Subaru? Excellent cars - I would love to own one some day!

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dex ltd View Post
    I have never had any experience at travelling with a 3D printer. However, I think having its own case is perhaps the best option. Could you buy a suitcase, fill it with padding and keep your printer in there and just use it like another piece of luggage? I know you have concerns it will be tampered etc but this would probably be an issue with whatever method you choose?

Out of interest, judging by your user name I am guessing you have a Subaru? Excellent cars - I would love to own one some day!
    Well as of right now I already travel with 1 checked bag, a carry on bag and my briefcase. Now the luggage both carry on and checked is hard sided. Theoretically I could try to fit it in my checked bag. I just don't want to get my bag bag with signs of someone having dug through all my personal affects.

Yes haha, I do own a Subaru. a 2004 WRX, but I've had it for almost 7 years so I'm considering trading in on something new.

I think even with some foam cut paddings once you disassemble the heat bed it can be made to take the volume of 2 shoe boxes side to side.