Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Printing Polycarbonate - Max extruder temp (software regulated) question

I've started printing polycarbonate at 275C/120C extruder/bed, and it looks like its almost there in terms of part quality. I'm using the all metal hot end. I've tried to get it past 280, but that appears to be the software maximum (as anyone who's seen the preheating whilst copying a file has seen). Does anyone know if its possible to go above 280? Is there a way to trim the thermocouple down?

Also, for anyone who is trying to print higher than 250C, it looks like thats Flashprint's maximum and you need to alter the gcode file in a text editor (second line).

Are you print this on a Dreamer?

One of the developers of the Sailfish firmware (what your printer likely runs if it's a Creator) says he put the 280C limit in on purpose and has no plans to change it. He said it's too much of a fire risk otherwise because of components near the heater that do poorly at higher temperatures.

I am doing this on a dreamer, forgot to mention. Has anyone ever put a thermometer onto the aluminum block to see what temps it actually reaches? One of the things I added when installing the all metal hot end was thermal paste between the aluminum block and the heatsinks.

I'm wondering if the Dreamer's (proprierty) firmware isn't the cause...

Technician
    Add Nargg on Thingiverse
    I've got a Dreamer, and just started using one of these beds: http://www.geckotek3d.com/ Using an infared thermo, I've found the bed to be within 2 to 5 degrees of what I set it to. Not bad I think. Love that bed though, as things stick perfectly and come off super easy afterwards. The heat causes the bed to transform into a sticky (to the plastic, not to touch) material, then when it cools the objects come off very easily.

...well the bed has nothing to do with the extruder max temp. If you're interested in bed material, I use a sheet of PEI and its amazing. PLA comes right off after printing. ABS, Nylon, PC I use glue stick (PVP) and its worked great.

It is absolutely the firmware. Its capped at that temperature... Is it true our x-carriages are made of PLA?

The x-carriages are made from ABS. I upgraded to the aluminum carriage so I can print PC and nylon. Some people just leave the plastic carriage and print at higher temperatures; it seems to do fine, but the belief is that they warp with the additional heat.

Did you mill your own aluminum carriage? Mine still looks great, and I've printed tons...spools...of Nylon at like 265C. With some thermal paste between the heat sinks and the aluminum block I think my set-up is dissipating a good amount of heat.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    the cooling fans should stop the carriage from warping.

Can't think of any reason you'd want to go above 280.
    Pc prints at 260 and above. Think polymaker recommend 265-270.
    Haven't tried it yet.

They did give me a buildtak sheet to use - but I thought I'd start with pva and see how it went.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast