Close

Ripples in surface texture.

I was wondering if anyone might have a better idea of what's going on.

Some background for the printer I'm using: Replicator 2X. Software is Makerware Desktop 3.8. Printing ABS at 210c to 220c and hbp at 95c. Print speed is 30 mm/s at 0.2 mm height.

The issue is that I'm getting these ripples in the top surfaces of for all my prints. I've tried adjusting the tension on the belts by tightening the pulleys and physically repositioning the motors to apply more belt tension. That helped some, but I'm still getting an uneven surface. It looks like it's dragging through the layers a bit. I'm not sure if calibration might be an issue. I check the calibration for the nozzle height pretty often. Could part of the problem be that it's too close? Is there some kind of mechanical feedback happening? The belt tension feels pretty tight, but should they be even tighter? I'm not sure what else it could be or what else to do.

Appreciate the help.

HPIM0364.jpgHPIM0361.jpgHPIM0367.jpgHPIM0369.jpgHPIM0370.jpg

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    Its hard to tell from the pictures, but there does appear to be some warping. Your printing pretty slow, so I don't think it's speed. What kind of surface are you printing on ?

Sorry for the bluriness. I don't have access to a tripod or a decent camera. There is some warping going on in the photos. I didn't do it for that print, but usually I'll add helper disks to try and keep the corners down. I'll also print on a glass plate coated with a layer of hair spray.

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    Hmmmmm, Try cleaning the glass real well, then apply 2 coats of hair spray (let each coat dry) and then make sure your bed it trammed. I generally heat my glass to 100c for the first 5 layers then back it down to 90c. My extruder temps are ~220. Maybe the warping is causing the ripples.. Its really hard to tell by the pics...

Thanks for the advice. I forgot to mention the printer I'm working with is at work. I'm not sure I can change the temperatures at different heights since I'm using Makerware Desktop. But I'll give the hair spray applications a try next time I'm with the printer. And I'll see if I can get some better pictures.