Close

Settlers of Catan Hex printing problem

I am trying to print the Settlers of Catan hex tiles designed by JAWong (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:26979). I am brand new to 3d printing and am trying to print these on a free printer at my library. I keep running into the same problem. The back and front corners of the hex (regardless of type) will eventually curl up while printing. This causes the hex to fuse with the raft in these areas. Some are worse than others, but I have yet to print one where the raft breaks away totally clean. I'm using a Makerbot Replicator (I think 5th gen) with PLA filament. Any ideas on how to prevent this from happening?

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    Any pictures? So you're printing on a raft and the raft is pulling away from the build platform?

What are you temps (extruder and build platform), and have your trammed the build platform to the correct specifications? These look like fairly large models, so your setup needs to be correct.

Yes, the raft pulls away from the platform. I took a picture, but I don't see an option to upload it to the thread. Basically, a corner or two of the hex will fuse to the corners of the raft that curl up. I'm pretty sure the extruder is at 215 degrees C, but not sure about the platform. I'll have to check with the library folks tomorrow, as it's closed today. I don't know what you mean by "trammed," as I'm a complete newbie. It prints right in the center of the build platform after printing a normal test strip of filament.

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by molljd View Post
    Yes, the raft pulls away from the platform. I took a picture, but I don't see an option to upload it to the thread. Basically, a corner or two of the hex will fuse to the corners of the raft that curl up. I'm pretty sure the extruder is at 215 degrees C, but not sure about the platform. I'll have to check with the library folks tomorrow, as it's closed today. I don't know what you mean by "trammed," as I'm a complete newbie. It prints right in the center of the build platform after printing a normal test strip of filament.
    Here is a picture of the 'Advanced Reply' (not on quick reply) form... Trammed as in 'level'. I think 'trammed' is a better word for what you are actually doing. Make sure you have the proper clearance between the nozzle and build plate at the leveling adjusters. Also do they have any bed tape installed? (Blue Painters Tape, etc...)

2016-01-10_13-16-05.jpg

Sorry, there was no option to load a picture when I was replying on my phone. I don't know if you can see, but the top right corner of the hex shows how it has fused to the remaining raft that won't come off. The top left corner broke off with the raft. Plus the whole hex has a slight curvature to it. I believe the person who maintains the machine at the library has tried to level the build plate, and yes, there is blue painters tape on the plate. IMG_3873.jpg

Turns out the build platform is not heated unfortunately.

Not sure you need an HBP for most PLA filaments. Are you supplying the filament? 215c seems a bit high for PLA (but I'm more familiar with ABS). Have you tried printing without a raft? Maybe try a different slicer?

The librarian in charge of the printer and I changed a couple things. We reduced the infill to 10%, made it hexagonal, turned off the cooling fan and slightly increased the distance between the raft and the item (0.22 to 0.29). This resulted in no curling and in easy removal of the hex from the raft!

Glad to hear you got it resolved.