Close

Advice for a first Build?

OK, I'm about to set out and make my first DIY RepRap printer, and I need advice badly. What printer would you guys suggest I start out building?

Also what other advice would you give me from experience on things I should expect, etc?

Thanks!

Technologist
    The Printrbot is a popular printer. There are several types to choose from at prices ranging from $300 to $900. I have the Junior and love it. The Prusa i3 from Makerfarm is also a popular printer kit. You can read a bit about it on the subforum here.

Many folks, including me, believe that building a kit is the way to go. You will learn so much about how these things work and you will be much more likely to be able to troubleshoot problems. The kits are fairly straightforward to put together. Learning how to calibrate, level, etc., can be the most challenging part of the process. Very rewarding though.

Have fun,

KDog

I agree with KDog. I'd go with the Printrbot to start out. More affordable and pretty simple to put together.

I personaly would take the makerfarm as its easy to put together and more bang for buck then a printrbot, But thats your desicion of course.

Follow papabur On Twitter Add papabur on Facebook Add papabur on Google+ Add papabur on Thingiverse
    Mendel90. MAKE SURE YOU GET A HEATED BED!!

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    I have found the Makerfarm i3 Prusa 8" a great printer to start out with. I like the fact that it's made of wood as it makes it easy to modify and attach things too. It's a solid printer and you'll find no better support than Colin at Makerfarm. I've written him an email at midnight and gotten an answer on numerous occasions.
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com

It all depends on your budget. I am currently building my first printer and I am going with a Prusa i3 8" (not the makerfarm kit). I am sourcing the parts myself to save a few on costs. So far I have bought all my vitamins, single sheet frame, and plastic parts. Still a ways to go before I am ready to print
    Last edited by Kryptonit3; 03-15-2014 at 03:52 PM.

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    Please post some photos of that build when you finish it. I'm sure we'd all like to see it.
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com

Student
    I think that the Makerfarm i3 Prusa 8" is a fairly good choice. they have a really good build manual and some support on software as well.

Student
    I haven't tried a kit yet myself but the hot-ends that printrbot has are awesome. I have never had a problem with them. I have used them in a Solidoodle as well as the custom printer I'm making sans kit right now, using Marlin firmware, an arduino and a ramps board.

Expect to spend more time calibrating your new machine than you will spend building it. But be patient and stick with it. The whole process is extremely gratifying no matter what you choose.

Happy Shopping though. And best of success in your endeavors.
    Last edited by OliveFrogs; 03-19-2014 at 02:14 PM. Reason: More advice