Close

Dreamer Table Thermostat not working

Folks,
    Got a Dreamer a month ago. Today, while cleaning the table with the spatula shorted the heater terminals in the back. Now the temperature just keeps rising. Anyone experienced this before? Is there a DYI fix that i can do?
    Thanks much

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    What did your short? Presuming you cut through some wires, what wires did you cut through? I'm pretty sure there is some control logic for that bed sensor (I know there is for the extruders), so if it was shorted or open I would suspect a hard fault failure.

Did not cut thru any wire. Spatula touched the two exposed soldered terminals of the Platform Heater at the back of the platform. I saw a small spark. And now the heater switches on whenever the machine is powered. Don't need to give any pre-heat or other command.

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    Oh... I would guess you fused the contacts in the heater relay (assume nothing is shorted). Bummer, as this generally means you're going to need a new main board.

You've probably blown the FET closest to the heat plate terminal on the driver board. It has happened to an number of people, including me. See the circle in the picture below. If you are lucky, this is all that is wrong; however, you will need to be able to solder SMT components to fix the problem. If you are not lucky, then further damage may have been done to the driver board and/or core board. The safest thing to do is to replace both boards, even though this is costly. Anything else brings a number of risks depending on your electronics knowledge.

s-l1600JF0ZMN28.jpg

Just buy the fet and a hot air solder. Could not be simpler to do SMD components. Its actually easier in my view than regular through hole soldering. Watch youtube for one evening and you've got a new skill..

The picture appears to be missing, is the FET the component closest to the 24 volt terminals on the actual heater board ?

Have the same problem: plate heats and won't cut out. Could anyone identify the FET for a newbie component and give me a clue about replacing it?