Close

Adjusting for undersized interior circles/holes

Just to start off, I've spent about 2 days researching this issue. I know that it is a common problem. I've already read Nophead's blog about the many causes. My printer is printings outside dimensions perfectly within +/-0.1mm accuracy. My interior holes are right at .5mm too small. I'm running a Makerfarm I3 with a .5 J-head. I've also read about J-head nozzle sizes not being spot on and a lot of people mention adjusting extrusion to try and compensate for the problem. My extrusion is good though.

So I know that the most common fix to this is to simply drill out the holes or compensate for the issue by making the holes larger when 3d modeling. The problem however is that I often print parts that I have not created myself and I need to come up with some wave to try and compensate for this issue without messing with the actual STL file.

I've always used Cura from the beginning, but I have heard using Slic3r and making it print outside perimeters first helps. I will try that soon. I've also heard of trying Skeinforge and some sort of extrusion or stretch compensation...but I've rather not use a slicing program that is no longer receiving updates. I feel like I would be trading in one feature for lose of others.

Has anyone figured out a way around this other than drilling or compensating when 3d modelings? I also don't want to scale the parts as it will throw others critical dimensions off.part.jpg

Here is a picture of my latest print to give you an idea of my issue. The center large hole (on the right side of the photo) is supposed to be 23.5mm and yet is is 23mm and will need reaming out to work.

Thank you in advance for any and all advice!

I too am having this issue. Printing on Makerbot Z18 (I know, I know.) Can you please give me a link to that blog? Thanks!

Here is the link to the blog about undersized holes: http://hydraraptor.blogspot.com/2011/02/polyholes.html

Here is another article on the same blog that might be useful: http://hydraraptor.blogspot.com/2014...ons-wrong.html

If you happen to find out a solution, please let me know.