Close

Need Help With 3D Printer Settings!!!

Hey, I need some help getting the right settings for my printer. My printer is a Monoprice Maker Select. It's pretty much a re branded Prusa i3 . I have a picture of what is wrong with my print below. I am printing with ABS at 230c with a bed temp of 90c. I am using the program CURA. Any help would be great! Thanks!

0109161110_HDR.jpg0109161110a_HDR.jpg0109161110b_HDR.jpg0109161150_HDR.jpg0109161150a_HDR.jpg
    Last edited by BigBeast; 01-09-2016 at 11:48 AM.

It looks like the heat soaking at .1 layer height is just a little too much. Consider lowering your print temperature to 225C or upping your layer height to .2mm.

Basically the heat isn't escaping from the print fast enough (very rare for abs). You can manually cool it with a fan, or do the recommended changes above.

Engineer-in-Training
    You could try drying your filament. This kind of fuzzy/stringy/oozy thing happens to me too when the ABS has attracked too much water (PET even more so). I once had a roll of PET that gave absolutely terrible results. After vacuum-drying at 70C and 50 millibar for approx six hours it gave perfect results. I have built my own DIY vacuum oven for this purpose.

Instead of drying you can do as LuckyImperial says and lower the temperature a lot (try even down to 220) and lower the speed a lot as well as with lower temperatures the viscosity is higher (and thus the backpressure).

Quote Originally Posted by Alibert View Post
    You could try drying your filament. This kind of fuzzy/stringy/oozy thing happens to me too when the ABS has attracked too much water (PET even more so). I once had a roll of PET that gave absolutely terrible results. After vacuum-drying at 70C and 50 millibar for approx six hours it gave perfect results. I have built my own DIY vacuum oven for this purpose.
    Are the plans/instructions/BOM for your vacuum dryer available. I wouold be interested, as I'm sure would others. Thanks. Wes

Quote Originally Posted by TraceChaser View Post
    Are the plans/instructions/BOM for your vacuum dryer available. I wouold be interested, as I'm sure would others. Thanks. Wes
    +1. I would like a BOM.

Engineer-in-Training
    I basically made something very similar to these: http://www.bestvaluevacs.com/aluminumchambers.html

I bought an aluminium soup pan of 20 litres (do not use steel as it is too thin, alu is generally 3-4mm thick and will hold under vacuum), and a 1" thick slab of perspex. I used my dremel to rout a 2 mm deep circular depression in the perspex (using a 3d printed jig) and poured a hard silicone gasket into that. I bought a vacuum manometer and taps/fittings from aliexpress, as well as this vacuum pump: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...858307655.html

I then added a 70W silicone heating strip and a temperature controller that I taped to the outside of the soup kettle with kapton tape and then put a layer of glass wool isolation around it all:

diy_vac.jpg

It works really well. The pump will create a vacuum well below 100 mbar. At first it struggles, but as the water is depleted the vacuum drops slowly to nearly 50 mbar. The aluminium soup pan holds up well and does not crumple under the deep vacuum (as a stainless steel pan will do,guess how I found out...).