Close

Thread: 3D Scanner help

Student

3D Scanner help

OK looking at getting into the 3D printing for automotive parts and replication. So was looking at 3d scanners which would make life so much easier to scan and replicate parts. I just am not sure what to get I have looked at countless scanners hand and base type. From 300 to over 1000 dollars just not sure what to do. Some of the handhelds seemed really nice as they can do larger objects which could help if I ever decided to get them made in a CNC machine out of metal. Anyways just wondering what is decent out there not looking to spend a fortune but just want something that will be pretty accurate more then anything else.

Any help appreciated on this topic.

Lorenzo

Staff Engineer
    None of the above. Sorry, but you'll need to spend at least $3000 to get a scanner that will be accurate enough and with a large enough capture volume to scan automotive parts with sufficient resolution for reverse-engineering. And that doesn't include the RE software, which can cost a lot more.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Follow Bobby Lin On Twitter Add Bobby Lin on Facebook Add Bobby Lin on Google+
    You can purchase Matter & Form MFS1V1 for only $599. It has the following specs:

Setup: Stationary/desktop can be folded for portability
    Scan Resolution: details within 0.43mm; size within 0.25mm
    Scanning technology: HD CMOS sensor + 2 lasers
    Max object size and weight: 25cm high, 18cm diameter, 3kg

It consists of a moving camera with a 360-degree rotating platform and a dual camera that can collect up to 2000 points/sec. The dual laser camera is attached to the Z-axis and it can produce highly accurate scans in just five minutes. This is by far the best 3d scanner in the market.

you can browse here for more options about 3d scanners. Hope this helps!