Close

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Yeah, a rough indication would be nice, but with the delays due to certification (and those can be lengthy due to reiterations, etc.), they probably won't give a new date until they're done!

I will probably ruffle some feathers by saying this but, in the time it's taking the Peachy Printer to be released, there are several other 100$ printer projects popping up. The novelty of being the first or only 100$ 3d printer is gone. Most of them even have better print quality. Personally, i never thought the Peachy print quality was ever really any good in the first place, but it did sound like a promising, novel idea. To me, the Peachy Printer always felt like it belonged on instructables.com as a build guide, rather than a funded ks campaign...

I imagine this comment will spawn some negativity towards me, and i accept that. I'm just sharing an opinion and point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes View Post
    I will probably ruffle some feathers by saying this but, in the time it's taking the Peachy Printer to be released, there are several other 100$ printer projects popping up. The novelty of being the first or only 100$ 3d printer is gone. Most of them even have better print quality. Personally, i never thought the Peachy print quality was ever really any good in the first place, but it did sound like a promising, novel idea. To me, the Peachy Printer always felt like it belonged on instructables.com as a build guide, rather than a funded ks campaign...

I imagine this comment will spawn some negativity towards me, and i accept that. I'm just sharing an opinion and point of view.
    It only will spawn negativity if it is not true... Unfortunately, that seems to be the case, though!

I've searched the web many a time, and did so just again, but so far the peachy is the only one I could find, esp. in the resin category, for under $100, that is anywhere near complete for that price!
    Also, the design is open source, so yes, you can do it yourself, but the idea is that sourcing the needed parts will likely be as expensive, if not more so, than buying the peachy kit...

The biggest delay atm (as far as we are told, obviously) is the certifications for laser class and CEE...

The way I look at this is that Ryan previously offered a refund to a user that asked, which tells me that these guys mean well. For that I don't mind supporting them and waiting because they don't even have to do that. We got into this spending $100+ and I know I've wasted more than that on less. I think the problem is with some KickStarter campaigns being slimy about their campaign. Oculus Rift being the bigger attention getter. With that said, I think it's a sign of being unorganized that the laser certification is being attempted right now, however it's a good sign that the product will go to market soon.

I could have purchased an M3D, but that's over $300 and right now I have no clue what I'm going to even print with my $100 3D printer. It's really just a toy that will spawn a hobby. So whereas I know I will be waiting, I'd like to know what accessories will be available for my new printer? 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Very Equipped View Post
    It's really just a toy that will spawn a hobby. So whereas I know I will be waiting, I'd like to know what accessories will be available for my new printer? 8)
    Hear hear! The only thing I would like to know is, if I order now when *approximately* could I expect to get it shipped?...

As hobbes said, there *are* other projects out there, which aren't as far as peachy right now, but might overtake it...
    Some of them even get close in price.

(For instance there is one that uses visible light (so not UV) activated resin (but no word on resin pricing!), a special resin container, a traditional upside-down lift model, and a SMARTPHONE (which slides under the resin container) to build objects, for approx $100, but no info on how far they are, and when they might have something for end-users! Also, the smartphone screen seems to be the size-limiting factor there, but I could imagine it could get expanded to include tablets or possible laptop screens...)

Technician
    I had a look at the kickstarter for the olo printer that you mentioned, the resolution limit IS the screen res. of the phone, the size limit IS the screen size of the phone, they mention a future project for a tablet that might be similar, and the big issue against IS the 'white light" curing resin(will need a more sensitive resin due to the lower energy in 'white light' vs near UV that the peachy uses) and the fixed (and small) build volume, and the smart phone MUST be in airline mode while printing, so if you want to USE the phone while printing, then you will NEED a second phone so that you have one to use and one to print with so that really adds the price of a second phone(with a very high res screen so that you can get the small details that you are likely to want on the small prints) to the price of th kickstarter, and the NEED for special white light resins which are not so common

Quote Originally Posted by harpo99999 View Post
    I had a look at the kickstarter for the olo printer that you mentioned, the resolution limit IS the screen res. of the phone, the size limit IS the screen size of the phone, they mention a future project for a tablet that might be similar, and the big issue against IS the 'white light" curing resin(will need a more sensitive resin due to the lower energy in 'white light' vs near UV that the peachy uses) and the fixed (and small) build volume, and the smart phone MUST be in airline mode while printing, so if you want to USE the phone while printing, then you will NEED a second phone so that you have one to use and one to print with so that really adds the price of a second phone(with a very high res screen so that you can get the small details that you are likely to want on the small prints) to the price of th kickstarter, and the NEED for special white light resins which are not so common
    Ayup! Exactly my point!

Quote Originally Posted by CescoAiel View Post
    Hear hear! The only thing I would like to know is, if I order now when *approximately* could I expect to get it shipped?...

As hobbes said, there *are* other projects out there, which aren't as far as peachy right now, but might overtake it...
    Some of them even get close in price.

(For instance there is one that uses visible light (so not UV) activated resin (but no word on resin pricing!), a special resin container, a traditional upside-down lift model, and a SMARTPHONE (which slides under the resin container) to build objects, for approx $100, but no info on how far they are, and when they might have something for end-users! Also, the smartphone screen seems to be the size-limiting factor there, but I could imagine it could get expanded to include tablets or possible laptop screens...)
    The smartphone alone will cost you 100 USD. I really wouldn't want to tie up my phone every time I wanted to print, nor be limited to the small size, so that makes a machine that has a real cost of twice as much, but is still less versatile.

They actually do have a timeline, but it is... aggressive. They expect US delivery by the end of Aug and the rest of the world by the end of Oct. The Peachy should be well into the backerkit buyers by then (hopefully).

Resin that reacts to visible spectrum like makes me a tad nervous, as (at least) minor amounts of inadvertent exposure are inevitable. On the flip side, it looks like they've got resins with about 4 different physical properties: Hard, Soft, Elastic, and Waxy (for lost-wax casting), which is pretty nice.

On the plus side, $120 (including shipping) isn't the biggest loss and, in many cases, worth the risk. While delays are always to be expected with R&D and manufacturing (not just at a kickstarter level), 2 years is a lot to ask for investors to wait, especially in these times when a 6 month old phone is already outdated.
    Last year i bought a $300 prusa that outdoes my makerbot 2x on every aspect of printing, and the makerbot is only a couple years old, if i'm not mistaken (and 8 times the price!).

Maybe I should have insisted on getting the money back.. What a rip-off..

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast