Close

Student

Thin Walled Cylinder Deformed at the Bottom

Greetings,

This is the second time I run into a cylindrical part (with a relatively thin wall thickness) that ends up being deformed in the layers closest to the bed. Reference attached photos. This is using HatchBox PLA on a Prusa 12" i3v with Slic3r 1.2.9.

I suspect this has to do with uneven cooling between layers because the same cylinder printed on top of a thick base of plastic does not deform like this.

Has anybody else run into this issue and found a solution? I suppose I could try printing the cylinder with a raft to see if it helps. I find this printer's/software's rafts are a pain to remove though.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions provided.

Chachin..

PS: Merry Christmas!

Cylinder-Front.jpgCylinder-Side.jpg

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Printing on a heated bed, right?

Heat from the bed is likely keeping the material in the lower layers soft; the circular path around the print will tend to tug the walls toward the center. Once you get high enough off the bed, the layers will cool enough that they stiffen up and the nozzle doesn't pull them inwards.

Your best solution would be to print cylindrical, thin wall PLA things like this on a cold bed - perhaps printing on blue painters tape swabbed clean with isopropyl alcohol.

Student
    Thank you for the explanation Printbus. Yes, I am printing on a heated glass bed coated with Garnier Fructis hairspray. I do have some blue painters tape on hand. I've never printed on tape before, so I will give it a try with the bed cold and the tape swabbed clean with alcohol. I'll report back.

For reference, I attached a photo of the same cylinder being printed on top of a thick plastic base (different part sharing the same cylinder). The same thin cylinder does not deform in this case.

Chachin..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Printbus is right. The heated bed is keeping the PLA soft so tension pulls it inward. Blue painters tape and a print cooling fan FTW.

Student

It worked!

Today I finally got a chance to print this thin-walled cylinder again on blue painter's tape and with the heated bed off. I am happy to report that this indeed solved the warping problem! See pictures below.

Thank you both for the help and happy new year!

Chachin..

Edit: Not sure why the picture turned out so small.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chachin; 01-08-2016 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chachin View Post
    Today I finally got a chance to print this thin-walled cylinder again on blue painter's tape and with the heated bed off. I am happy to report that this indeed solved the warping problem! See pictures below.

Thank you both for the help and happy new year!

Chachin..

Edit: Not sure why the picture turned out so small.
    Awesome! Glad you got it to work.