Close

Engineer-in-Training

PowerPrint software

My PowerSpec Ultra 3D printer came with PowerPrint software. The software expected 3D models to use metric measurement system (mm) instead of Imperial measurement system (inches). I tried to use AutoCAD to create a 3D model but AutoCAD can't export 3D models to STL files using correct measurement system. If the 3D model was created using Imperial measurement system and exported to STL file, PowerPrint gets confused and thinks that 8 inches is 8 mm! How can I fix the problem?

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    STL files don't have specific units. If your object is 8x4 inches or mm, it's just 8x4 somethings.

Your printer software should have an option to scale the object. Keep your aspect ratio locked and scale up to 25.4 to convert mm to inches.

If power print doesn't have a scale ratio, just rescale it in meshmixer.

Engineer-in-Training
    I tried Meshmixer and 123D but they're not good. I tried 3DS MAX and it worked because it allowed me to scale files to correct measurement system while importing them into 3DS MAX.

Not good ??? Care to elaborate ?

Engineer-in-Training
    Autocad can export to STL in mm fine. Just don't forget to set the FACETRES variable to 10 (max value) before exporting. Standard is 0.5 (very coarse).

When you make a new Autocad file use the acadiso3D template, which is the metric version. Not the acad3D template.

Draw your object, type FACETRES then 10 on the command line, select the object and export as ASCII STL and Bob's your uncle.

Use Tinkercad. set the units to inches then import the stl file than change the units to mm and save the new stl!