Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bridging

Technologist
    Mine is .9 using Simplify3D.

Can anyone recommend a fan shroud for the bed to aid bridging - like to give it a go.

I3v 8"
    Standard Gregs Extruder
    E3D-V6 hotend (which has a fan already on the upper part of the block)

Seems to be quite a few designs out there, some good comments, some bad. One with good comments looks like it would be too low for the bed and I would be nervous of it cooling the hot end too much,but I guess this is compensated by the heating staying on longer?

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:351280

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by tonybuckley View Post
    Can anyone recommend a fan shroud for the bed to aid bridging - like to give it a go.

I3v 8"
    Standard Gregs Extruder
    E3D-V6 hotend (which has a fan already on the upper part of the block)

Seems to be quite a few designs out there, some good comments, some bad. One with good comments looks like it would be too low for the bed and I would be nervous of it cooling the hot end too much,but I guess this is compensated by the heating staying on longer?

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:351280
    That is exactly the shroud that I used with a single extruder setup. I've never had a problem with it being too low nor with it affecting the heating of the hot end. If you have the stock cooling fan, make sure that you print the extra-long version of the shroud.

Quote Originally Posted by kd7eir View Post
    That is exactly the shroud that I used with a single extruder setup. I've never had a problem with it being too low nor with it affecting the heating of the hot end. If you have the stock cooling fan, make sure that you print the extra-long version of the shroud.
    I've printed and what a lovely design - attached but no fan yet and yes it does seem perfect. Slight drag on first layer but does not seem to interfer with the print. It does obscure the E3d fan but still feels cool on the upper hot end.

I discovered I installed this incorrectly. The mount to the extruder is slightly offset. I reversed and no drag now. I probably did not read the instructions.

A 40mm fan from Maplins (UK high st supplier) which strangely had three cables, fitted a treat! I discarded the yellow wire after testing that black and red were indeed power and ground. All hooked up to D9 and it works brilliantly and controlled via the software.

Just printed a big piece with two 110mm horizontal bridges and it is 99% perfect!

Just getting into 123D Design which I think very good except for moving objects against other objects - not great as processes need to be repeated and offsets calculated and adjusted for measurements. Of course I may be doing something wrong.

Thanks to those that advised. Case Closed.

MakerFarm i3v 8"
    E3d-v6 hotend
    Hotend temp 225
    Bed Temp 70
    Translucent Green ColourFabb PLA
    Slic£r 1.2.9
    Mac 2.3ghz, 8gb ram
    123d Design checked by NetFabb

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12