Close

Student

Micro 3D vs Printrbot Simple Metal

I know I always see them on here myself but I'm in a time crunch if I ever intend to get a 3D printer for this year. I will be traveling for the next year and that means if I want to keep printing I need a travel size 3D printer. So I've narrowed my selection down to the 2 printers mentioned and honestly its a bit of a tie that maybe people with some experience can shed some light on.

My main use for the printer will be small projects for things like robotics, quadcopter parts, and other mechanical things. I'd also like to keep the price below $700 since this is to be a more temporary solution until the project I'm on is complete and I have an actual one location 9-5.

Micro 3D
    Printer- $349 (+25 for white)
    Filament - $14
    Tak Sheets (3) - $18

Total = $406 + Shipping

Pros:
    - Super compact
    - Very small
    - Simple
    - Quiet

Cons:
    - Slow
    - Only prints with a PC connected
    - Some quality issues in prints

Final thoughts: Incredibly compact and simple. Pretty hard to beat a system that's fit inside a 7.5" cube with nothing to get snagged or bent. Concerns come from a flimsier chassis, much slower printing speed, debatable print bed and some quality issues in the prints (could be software related).

Printrbot
    Printer- $539 (kit)
    Filament- $22
    3M Tape- $15

Total = $576 (Free Shipping)

Pros:
    - Amazing quality of parts
    - Efficient speed
    - Simple

Cons:
    - Only prints with a PC connected
    - A tad on the bulky side (if anyone can get me actual dimensions, all I can find are dimensions required for all axis to be in free motion)

Final thoughts: Seems like for the money this one offers much higher quality parts. Runs at a normal printing speed without making much more noise. Only issue could be how compact it gets and how well it survives being put in a shipping container every 3 weeks for a year (I've toyed with partially dissembling major components to make shipping easier?)

I personally have had no personal interaction with either printer. I want to hear it from people currently using either or who have some experience as to what their thoughts are on the matter.

nice info for me, thanks for posting

Hi, the printrbots can work disconnected from a PC ! you can auto-print from a sd card (that is standard in the board of all their products) and you can handle them with the optional LCD screen + button.

As for shipping, you need at minimum to disconnect and dismount the bed and immobilize the head. That is a 10 min operation I'd say and you need to recalibrate after. All in all I wouldn't say it's a biggie. Additional care depends on the shipping conditions. I've seen some people carrying it around on a backpack or with the handle....

Overall the printrbot line is really sturdy and support is great.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    out of those two - then the printrbot would be the choice - with the lcd screen.

The micro just seems too cheaply made to survive much travelling - and doesn't have the untethered option. Which is a must for me.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by LambdaFF View Post
    Hi, the printrbots can work disconnected from a PC ! you can auto-print from a sd card (that is standard in the board of all their products) and you can handle them with the optional LCD screen + button.

As for shipping, you need at minimum to disconnect and dismount the bed and immobilize the head. That is a 10 min operation I'd say and you need to recalibrate after. All in all I wouldn't say it's a biggie. Additional care depends on the shipping conditions. I've seen some people carrying it around on a backpack or with the handle....

Overall the printrbot line is really sturdy and support is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    out of those two - then the printrbot would be the choice - with the lcd screen.

The micro just seems too cheaply made to survive much travelling - and doesn't have the untethered option. Which is a must for me.
    I did not know the Printrbot came with a built in SD card slot, awesome!

As far as the LCD screen, I don't see that as on option but an add on, which I'm assuming is how you both mean. I also was reading into Octoprint, which theoretically would allow me to wireless use my laptop correct? A Rasberry pi is what, like $30 and a few little parts and I should be good to go I would think.

From what I've been reading it seems like the main issue is the main board. Has anyone confirmed if the issues have been fixed? I heard they can easily fry themselves, bad USB connector, and faulty boards.

Quote Originally Posted by scubaru View Post
    I I also was reading into Octoprint, which theoretically would allow me to wireless use my laptop correct? A Rasberry pi is what, like $30 and a few little parts and I should be good to go I would think.
    Correct, this is also an add on sold by Printrbot if you're into it. I think they're even working on something more integrated as you can see on their twitter.
    Quote Originally Posted by scubaru View Post
    From what I've been reading it seems like the main issue is the main board. Has anyone confirmed if the issues have been fixed? I heard they can easily fry themselves, bad USB connector, and faulty boards.
    1 simple question : how old was this post ? If this stems back from their initial KS product : OK. I don't think this is true any longer : they have now integrated the production of the boards internally (no longer subcontracted) and overall integration in the product seems OK. Never had a problem in a year. That being said, they announced on their twitter their intention to move away from mini USB on the coming board revisions.

Hello Scubaru and Everyone,
    I have just read your post looking for a compact and portable yet reliable mini 3D printer, and I thought I should tell you about the Createbot Super Mini 3D Printer. It is brand new for late 2015/2016 and has a metal body available in 4 colors, is enclosed for safety and temperature stability, has an SD card slot and display and runs on Marlin firmware and uses regular 1.75mm filament with no special spools or other proprietary requirements. I have just become a reseller for Createbot in North America and the price is very competitive with both the M3D and Printrbot. I have made an unboxing review on Youtube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34ne4oC83yI. If you have any questions please visit www.3dcreator.ca for contact info. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by 3DCreator View Post
    It is brand new for late 2015/2016
    A chinese website with 3D renders and no proven track record.

Well...

Hello Scubaru, LambdaFF and Everyone,

@LambdaFF This isn't a Chinese site, it is my site in Canada. Createbot is a Chinese made 3D Printer brand, there is no denying that, but most things these days are.

The Super Mini page does have some rendered images on it because it was just developed in the fall but there are also real images and a I have a functional model that I have reviewed on Youtube that printed nicely literally right out of the box.

Createbot's larger models, like the Mini and Max, have been on the market for a few years now and have been proven as a good, reliable little known brand name. As with every company, they have to start somewhere and we too have to start by offering a product that we believe in, so with time will come a proven track record.

@Scubaru I hope that this helps you find a 3D Printer that is suitable for YOU, sometimes you can read all the reviews in the world, but there are the rare occasions out there that a good product can be made without huge marketing campaigns and sometimes you have to bite the bullet and give them a shot like I did and haven't been disappointed.

Thank you,
    Joe

I backed the Micro on kickstarter and have used it for 10 months or so. Fun little printer to play around with and learn on but I wouldn't recommend it for two reasons: 1) closed software 2) VERY POOR communication from the company.