Close

Engineer

Bre Pettis Challenged On Bloomberg TV About 3D Printing

This is a very interesting interview with Bre Pettis, the Founder of Makerbot on Bloomberg. In the interview Pettis argues that 3D printing is the future, and why we all need a Makerbot replicator for $1375. The commentators on the show press Pettis pretty hard and even go as far as saying it costs $70 for filament to make a shoe. Pettis quickly jumps in and says $5, to which they had no response.

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/insid...gCkhDYIOw.html

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    yeah, while I don't particularly like the guy I know what it feels like to be attacked like that. I remember when I first mentioned at work I was buying a 3D printer. Keep in mind I worked for Fuji Xerox, so printing was something we breathed.. I had people literally starting arguments with me (the same arguments they started with Bre there in that interview) and I remember saying the same stuff.

Bre needs to do a little homework and he will be able to present a better argument. He's a smart guy but his head is literally buried up his own arse, so it makes it hard for him to see clearly at times I guess. If he actually had some incling of the actual history of the print industry, he could have told them how much they have been paying for Toner and copiers and service and maintenance all these years - the prices are incomparable. All he needed to do was prove to them why the machine was worth $1300 and he just failed to do that (and often does)

Engineer
    So many people, even these TV guys which should study up for a few hours before interviewing the CEO of a upcoming company like this, have no clue of the facts. $70 for filament to print One shoe, get real. That kind of thing is what will turn people off of 3d printers. In reality it cost only about $5-$10 probably

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    So many people, even these TV guys which should study up for a few hours before interviewing the CEO of a upcoming company like this, have no clue of the facts. $70 for filament to print One shoe, get real. That kind of thing is what will turn people off of 3d printers. In reality it cost only about $5-$10 probably
    They seemed just as ignorant didn't they.. and also he said "oh but you cant make the shoe flexible.."

Well you can, but yo see Bre can't argue that either as his machines don't take nylon, just another shot for him to push his "makerbot PLA filament"

They seemed ignorant, but that is 99.9% of the world when it comes to 3D printing. They are looking at 3d printing the same way the most of the world looks at it. If Bre can't convince them, he won't convince the rest of the world unfortunately. I agree with a lot of what these guys said. Plastic printed stuff just isn't all that feasible. I think we will begin to see more materials in the coming years. Once we can print in metal, that's when I think it will take off. The Mark One's carbon fiber printer is a good step in that direction.

I feel the media and most people miss the big advantage of 3d printers in the hands of everyday inventors, makers, and students. It give the small guy a way to PROTOTYPE parts to prove a concept and once it proven go the next step in manufacturing. I know a few stories of high school kids using a 3d printer to help a handicapped student with a problem she was having with her gait trainer, the saw a problem, went to their engineering lab, design a few ideas for clips to hold her backpack away from the gait trainers pivot point so it would not get pinched. after 10+ design they found a clip that solved the problem. They also have use 3d printing to print a sprocket assembly for their high mileage challenge car.

This is a huge challenge for us that use these printers to educate lamestream media/public on the potential of this technology, It will never be a production machine, but a design tool to create new innovations and products or 1 off custom parts.