Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

Hasbro's DohVinci - 3D Printer that prints in Play-Doh like substance

Hasbro has announce a new 3Doodler like printer for kids. It's called the DohVinci, and it prints in a substance that is similar to Play-Doh. Check it out at: http://3dprint.com/1194/hasbro-shows...ci-3d-printer/

Would you buy this for your kids?

Staff Engineer
    Everyone wants to get on the bandwagon. It's a stretch to call that (or the 3Doodler, for that matter) a "printer", much less a 3D printer. I had a Play-Doh extruder when I was a kid; this doesn't look any more advanced; it's in a gun form instead of stationary, but I doubt it works any better. If anything, it's harder to extrude Play-doh with finger pressure than with the whole arm.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

This isn't really a 3D printer. It is a 3D pen.... not even that. Both this and the 3Doodler kinda just frustrate me.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Why print in something similar to Play-Doh instead of just Play-Doh?

Set the wayback machine to 9 months ago:

My 3Doodler should finally arrive this week and I have to say I am looking forward to it. I agree that the name "3D printer" is questionable (it is like calling a pen a "handheld 2D printer") but I literally just want to play with it and focus on what it can do.
    That said, I think that the kids segment can be (like fashion and food) a gateway to the mainstream for 3DP.
    I am mostly interested in food 3D printing which I follow at @foodfabbing.