Close

Replicator 2X Extrusion failures

Hi All;

I have a Replicator 2X which was working fine up until a couple of days ago. When starting a new print, the extruder lays down the single line in front of the platform with no issues. Then it starts its raft, which always starts out well and then gets thinner and thinner until no filament is being extruded out. This happened with the last 25 prints of various objects. After this happens, I go to utilities and "load filament" and need to push the filament into the extruder by hand before it starts laying a strand. After the initial push in by hand, I would start and stop this operation several times and it works consistently, starting each time the motor starts driving the filament.

I completely disassembled the extruder, cleaned it all out, took the nozzle off and heated all the ABS out and cleaned the bore and tip with a thin wire. Nothing looks amiss and the motor seems to be pulling as strong as it always had. The filament reel is free and is not preventing the filament from being pulled into the extruder. So I am out of things to check. Has anyone else experienced this? Could this be a part failure? Any suggestions? Thanks Allan

OK, after disassembling the head several times and seeing how it works, it seems that there was a tension screw on the top of the extruder that adjusts the pressure of the drive wheel on the filament. Needless to say after 200 hours it loosened some how. But after adjusting it, it now works. Duh.....