Close

Printing in thin air?

I'm a newcomer. I have a Soldoodle Pro 2. I've made a couple of objects. But I'm confused about how an object gets printed when it has a part that is free floating.

Example: Today I went to print an elephant (my wife likes elephants, but she hates my 3D printer hobby). The elephant's trunk hangs down, but not all the way to the elephant's legs. So as a result, building from bottom to top, the trunk's first layer is not connected to anything. This means the printer has to lay down a layer in thin air.

Well that doesn't work. But I've seen other people print objects where I'd expect this same thing to happen.

What's going on? Am I on crazy pills?

Super Moderator
    You add supports (generally just vertical columns) from the print bed to where the trunk is (like in this picture), then remove that (e.g. with diagonal cutters) after the printing is done, then smooth up the print so it looks like they were never there.

e84c99b9b65bbc7e0040eed711564eb1_large.jpg

Smart software will add the supports for you.

This is one of the main attractions of dual-extruder printers. You can have it print the supports in a different material, specifically, one that will dissolve away so you don't have to do the cutting and extra finish work that entails.

Quote Originally Posted by Compro01 View Post
    You add supports (generally just vertical columns) from the print bed to where the trunk is (like in this picture), then remove that (e.g. with diagonal cutters) after the printing is done, then smooth up the print so it looks like they were never there.

e84c99b9b65bbc7e0040eed711564eb1_large.jpg

Smart software will add the supports for you.

This is one of the main attractions of dual-extruder printers. You can have it print the supports in a different material, specifically, one that will dissolve away so you don't have to do the cutting and extra finish work that entails.
    Thanks for the response. What kind of software is smart? When I use Slicer and Repetier Host, it just tries to print in mid-air like an idiot.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcd47 View Post
    Thanks for the response. What kind of software is smart? When I use Slicer and Repetier Host, it just tries to print in mid-air like an idiot.
    Use Replicator G or Makerware, they seem pretty universal, both will autogenerate all your supports and other needs. Replicator G is more tweakable, but less user friendly.

http://replicat.org/

http://www.makerbot.com/makerware/

In slicer under print settings there is support material, lots of setting you will have to play with those.
    support image slicer.jpg

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcd47 View Post
    When I use Slicer and Repetier Host, it just tries to print in mid-air like an idiot.
    http://manual.slic3r.org/SupportMaterial.html

You have to check the "Generate Support Material" box.

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    I heard there is a lot of variety in the quality of support structures that your CAM software can create. It will be crucial for my success with my newly bought Ultimaker. Is Cura the best software, does anyone know?

Also, does anyone have any experience with the experimental Dual Extrusion kit for the Ultimaker Original? I am considering it mostly for the dissolvable supports.

Less important1: That photo looks like high architecture, I will use that one more often. Thanks!
    Less important2: 3d printing needs to become less nerdy quick, so our wives and girlfriends can appreciate and support it too. Cubify is the only company that seems to pay most attention to that, but I just heavily resist the idea of having to buy proprietary filaments.