Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Owner, Simplify3d Problem

So I just got a FFCP I did a few test prints with replicatorG and tried doing some more complex ones and quickly learned how fragile the program is. Seeing people say good things about Simplify3d I decided to purchase it tonight, installed the program set my printer as default set up a process for my left extruder. Grabbed a simple block file go to print after preheat the head goes to the corner of my platform creates a pretty large size 'blob' in the corner goes to print but none of the filament gets goes to the bed it all bunches up on the head of the extruder. I have tried it a few times and it destroys my leveling each time (Nozzle because tight with the platform). Is there a setting or something I don't have right ??

Engineer-in-Training
    It is not a problem with S3D.

My guess is that you have not levelled your bed right. Either the nozzle is too close (plastic is squishing around the edge) or too far (the plastic does not stick to the bed). It could also be a wrong temperature setting and/or clogged nozzle.

What polymer (PLA, ABS, PETG, HIPS etc) and bed material (blue tape, kapton, PEI, glass) are you using? And what kind of bonding (glue stick, hairspray, abs slurry, etc)? And at which temperature/speed settings? Photo's?

A bit more info helps us help you.....

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    Follow Aliberts advice as there is probably an issue with the bot's setup.

That said, I have had that happen twice since upgrading to the latest version of S3D. I've had to stop the print, clean the nozzle off, scrape the ABS off the table and start the print again and all went well each time. This is 2 out of maybe 40-50 prints... Not had a chance to change the starting script to change this new behavior in S3D.

Thanks for the info guys sorry for not giving more details. Side note I did fix the blob piling on the side while its doing the priming (I'm a software engineer so I love to tinker) I increased the X coordinates for my Left only process now it primes off the bed but still having problems sticking..
    But my info:
    ABS
    230/110
    I have not put anything on the bed besides the blue mat that comes with it. (Like i said I had prints go down with RepG and Makerbot without having a problem with sticking)

And while leveling I believe I'm doing it right but just for a bit of clarification, how much resistance do you go with against the paper to set your leveling is it as soon as you can feel the resistance or do you want it to be somewhat significant.

Quote Originally Posted by JNeim View Post
    Thanks for the info guys sorry for not giving more details. Side note I did fix the blob piling on the side while its doing the priming (I'm a software engineer so I love to tinker) I increased the X coordinates for my Left only process now it primes off the bed but still having problems sticking..
    But my info:
    ABS
    230/110
    I have not put anything on the bed besides the blue mat that comes with it. (Like i said I had prints go down with RepG and Makerbot without having a problem with sticking)

And while leveling I believe I'm doing it right but just for a bit of clarification, how much resistance do you go with against the paper to set your leveling is it as soon as you can feel the resistance or do you want it to be somewhat significant.
    I find that setting my 1st layer height between 80 and 90% in S3D makes the part stick. As for the resistance I use some printer paper and adjust to the point I can feel the nozzel hitting the paper but not enough to bend the paper when pushing forward.

Cool I will try that. Something I also found this morning the back left adjustment felt weird to me and upon looking at it the nut on the stand off was actually loose inside, I'm not sure if that would make a difference with leveling staying where it should

ever find a resolution to this? Im in the exact same boat, I can print anything fine with RepG but Simplify3D fails exactly as you describe. every time. I've re-leveled, adjusted global z-axis in the g-code tab of the FFF settings but nothing changes.

Quote Originally Posted by kpeluso View Post
    ever find a resolution to this? Im in the exact same boat, I can print anything fine with RepG but Simplify3D fails exactly as you describe. every time. I've re-leveled, adjusted global z-axis in the g-code tab of the FFF settings but nothing changes.
    Have you tried setting the 1st layer height between 80 and 90% in S3D?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    forget layer height and change the first layer speed to 20% of print speed. The slower it puts the first layer down the cleaner and better it will stick. I never mess with layer heights - never needed to.

Calibration wise I use 90gsm weight paper and calibrate utnill there is noticeable friction.
    I also then slaver a few layers of pva glue on the bed.
    These days I almost never get duff prints. Mind you I never use abs either :-)

Quote Originally Posted by rforeman View Post
    Have you tried setting the 1st layer height between 80 and 90% in S3D?
    Definitely on the right track. Set the global z back to zero and used the leveling wizard yet again and it's about 90% there. Some good tweaking and I'll be set. Thanks guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast