Close

Unhappy New to the board, quick extruder question...

Hello all! Like i stated im new here. I just had a quick question about the star of my prints.
    I have the flashforge creator and when i start a print, the first little test line or startup line that it makes, it extrudes a bit too much for the initial pause and it sticks to the extruder and pulls up the start of the print sometimes getting into the rest of the print. Any settings on how to adjust this? Not sure what info you all might need so let me know thanks!
    ReplicatorG
    Flashforge Creator
    ABS 225c Temp
    Heated bed 120c
    Bed is leveled
    Printing on kapton or blue tape

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    sounds like it might be calibrated too tight.

what slicer are you using, as they'll all let you adjust the extrusion multiplier.

Student
    Add JohnnyV on Facebook
    1. Reduce your bed temperature. I target 100C for ABS (some claim this is too high). I wouldn't go over 110.
    2. May want to increase your nozzle temp to 230, depending on brand of ABS you are using.
    3. Switch to a different slicer - ReplicatorG hasn't been updated since 2012. Use slic3r, cura, or simplify 3d

If the above items don't fix the issue, check your bed is level. Make sure to level it when hot.

Also, this board has a Flashforge specific section. I recommend posting there in the future.

All of the above are good pieces of general advice. You should however make your platform is properly trammed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Finke View Post
    All of the above are good pieces of general advice. You should however make your platform is properly trammed.
    ??? Trammed ?
    Here we never use that word, what do you mean ?

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    sounds like it might be calibrated too tight.
    ??? How can you Calibrate "too tight" ?
    To us Tight calibration means 'calibrated correctly per specs'.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleSeven View Post
    ??? Trammed ?
    Here we never use that word, what do you mean ?
    Tramming is the correct term for what often gets called 'levelling the build platform'.

Levelling implies that the platform is level i.e. level to the ground. This is not the case as the platform must be a set distance from the nozzle tip at all times. This distance can vary depending on several factors like skew rods (relative to frame), skew mounting surface, warped table arms, etc. Hence the platform is trammed and not levelled.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleSeven View Post
    ??? How can you Calibrate "too tight" ?
    To us Tight calibration means 'calibrated correctly per specs'.
    If it's too tight then there is insufficient distance between the nozzle and build platform and the filament won't extrude properly. It'll either get squashed and spread out, or it'll not come out properly and cause back pressure.

Thanks for the 'Translations' guys !